Gourami Bubble Nest With Possible Eggs

1. W

Wooptido Member Member

My male honey gourami made a large bubble nest in my aquarium, a few days ago. Today I see yellow spots in the bubbles, I'm assuming that's what the eggs look like.

Other fish in the aquarium are cory, rummy nose tetra, gold ram and yoyo loach.

There are a lot of plants in the aquarium and some hiding spots. Will the male succeed into defending the possible babies from those fish, or do they have no chance?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Ok quick question...but is there a female gourami?

3. OP
    OP
    W

Wooptido Member Member

Yes. I have a male and a female. Already since the beginning (+- 6 months).

4. KinsKicks

Ok thanks (sorta sounded like he just had eggs lol :p).

Anyways, he's going to have a really difficult time defending his nest with other fish; the thing about bubble nests is that eggs tend to fall out if they aren't "sticky" enough, and when they fall, he has to chase them down, which means fish attacking his nest while he's gone or being beaten to the falling egg. Especially, in a larger tank, it's a real workout swimming up and down again.

And, if he does get them to survive; it'll be nearly impossible to have fry survive in a display tank unless you intervene and remove them to a separate tank.

How big is the tank? (also, in your profile, it mentions you don't know about the nitrogen cycle? Is that just a typo?)

5. OP
    OP
    W

Wooptido Member Member

I updated my profile, that was still on there since I became a member :)

It's a 30 gallon tank. The male really looks like he's defending the eggs very well, he's even aggressive towards the female when she comes too close.

I don't really have a 2nd tank to put the fry in though. Which is super sad, because the male is really doing hard work. Maybe, if they hatch, I can put them into a plastic container with a heater to keep temperatures warm enough (if that's good enough for them).

6. KinsKicks

DIY fry tank is a good idea if you like, a large plastic tub would be fine (haha, i've done it too! Make sure to get #2, #4, or #5 plastics, those are safe), but you'll need a cycled sponge filter in addition to the heater. And if they're still there, I'd think about starting a brine shrimp hatchery immediately (like within the next 3-4 days at the most) to have food for them when they start free swimming in a few days/at the end of the week

(and thanks for letting me know about the N-cycle, very much appreciated! :))

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, true Gourami eggs are lighter than water and float (Family Osphronemidae). Bettas and species related to them have eggs that sink (Family Anabantidae). The fry from Honeys also float, and if there are lots of surface floating plants, they are very good at hiding for a long time. I had some grow to a decent size in a 55 gallon community with Water Sprite on the surface. I would mostly be concerned with the Tetras getting them. It's not that hard to move a few plants and eggs to another tank to raise some fry. You really don't need the male gourami to care for them once spawning is over.

8. OP
    OP
    W

Wooptido Member Member

Ok! I have 2 sponge filters running at the moment, in 1 plastic container. Because I'm also raising some goldfish fry at the moment (also my first time).

So I can switch 1 of those containers to the other plastic container.

I'll start a BBS hatchery this evening. But the first time I tried it (for the goldfish fry), it wasn't really a success. Not sure if I did something wrong. I did see some BBS that were hatched, but not that much and I don't really know how to separate the hatched BBS from the eggs.

Are there alternative food sources for them, if my BBS hatchery fails again? Thanks! :)