Gourami being mean to Algae eater

1. Camille Member Member

Hi!

I have had a powder blue gourami and an aglae eater in my tank for a few years. They have always got along till now. Every time my gourami sees my alage eater he chases him and tries to nip at his tail. Why is my gourami doing this? Is it because the algae eater has gotten bigger and it has something to do with territorial issues? My gourami never tries to nip at any of the smaller fish...
    If any one can tell me why they're not getting along that would be great. I think I might just end up moving my algae eater to a different tank.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

As the AE grows, the gourami may be feeling more territorial because he's losing territory in an already heavily stocked tank.

I know you've mentioned dividing up your fishies and have received good advice about creating more comfortable schools for them. :) Your fishies will really appreciate this.

It sounds like you have an idea why things aren't working and how to resolve the tank issues, so I don't have much to add. Just gonna wish you the best! :)

3. Camille Member Member

Thank you! I thought my gourami was just being territorial but I wasn't sure.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I second Ilovee's post. Seems you have everything under control.
    Ken