Gourami Behavior Change - Just Jealous?

bcfishtanks

Several months back, I got a beautiful thick-lipped gourami (mislabeled at my awesome LFS as a honey) for my male honey who had recently lost his previous partner to camallanus worms. They clicked immediately and have been infatuated with each other ever since.

However, I kept one of my male's offspring, and she is about 7 months old now. She started flirting with him a few weeks ago, and just this week, he started trying to attract her back. My thick-lip, who was perfectly fine this morning, is now hiding a bit more and didn't excitedly come over to see me like she usually does when I got home from work. She also didn't react when he swam up to her, though her fins have been flared. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with not getting attention from the male today. I've noticed that gouramis can be a bit... dramatic. Thoughts?

**if you think she's sick, I'll be able to handle it. I just want to know if you think I should keep my guard up for illness or if you think it's just ~ f i s h d r a m a ~

Thanks!

MommyGourami

It's probably fish drama because man, male Honey Gouramis can be drama kings. o_O He's the worst about chasing down all my female gouramis if they don't give him enough attention/give him too much attention/take your pick. I'd keep an eye on your sweet thicklip for now and make sure she is eating. Worst case, you try to separate them and observe them separately to see if she improves.

bcfishtanks

Thank you! She's a lot happier today and started acting like herself again. Coincidentally, she's also getting attention again. I'm considering getting another male honey soon to balance out the dynamic a bit. Or I'll get another female so that she has someone to hang out with if my male goes off with another girl.

New2fishlovinit

I did the gourami roller coaster, but with three spot (gold version). My female was chill alone (dirher fish young rainbows) - went bezerk when i added cories to main tank, so She moved to a 55 i was just getting ready, but then she was lonely so i got her a boy … they fought.. so ill add another girl … nope the first one terrorized all until i rehomed them and now she is queen of the tank. (Rainbow shark has been known to push her around as its gotten bigger). I love my big gourami girl she is moody though for sure. So much personality in the species. Followed so if theres updates ! gL

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Huckleberry77
Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
New2fishlovinit
Replies
Views