Gourami Attacked By Tiger Barbs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nichtor, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Nichtor

NichtorNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    So this is my second time posting here. I have another problem! So In my 55 Gallon I had 9 tiger barbs and an opaline gourami and two dwarf Gourami. Imediately all the tiger barbs started picking on one of the dwarf Gourami. He then stayed at the top corner of the aquarium. He looked so weak but had no signs of any sort of damage. No ripped fins or anything. So i took him out and put him in another tank. He's still in pretty bad shape. But after i took him out they started on the next dwarf. and then that dwarf gourami did the exact thing the previous did. started floating in the top corner of the tank.. So now i took him out too. That left only the oapaline gourami. And he was the only gourami in the tank who would swim around freely. He never looked tired. but then before i left for work today i noticed he looked a little weak so i watched him for a bit. no barbs were picking on him so I left him in the tank. But when i came home he was dead on the bottom. The other two are still alive in the other tank. I loved how they look. They are probably my favorite fish. It hurts me quite a bit to have them not be able to be in my main tank. And it hurts more to have my favorite one dead. I have a school of 9 barbs. I figured they would chase each other and not pick on the gouramis. I also thought the gouramis would defend themselves. Its odd to me how it happened one by one. And i guess I'd like to know more. Perhaps if this has happened to anyone else. Or if anyone has any expirence keeping gouramis and barbs? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, any pecommendations on what to put in my tank would be helpful. I want to have an alive tank with lots of movement and color. But I want to keep the death to a minimum. I dont think ill be adding any more gourami. perhaps I'll make a gourami community tank because I like them so much. But for now I wanna work on my main tank. My next purchase was going to be some tiger loaches, But what else should I add. Also i forgot to mention I have two geophagus cichlids but they are always to themselves. the barbs dont bother them and they dont bother anyone else. Once again, any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2. ahmad.echols

ahmad.echolsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Are u sure the cichlids didnt chase them. And kill them

3. OP
    OP
    Nichtor

NichtorNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah Im pretty sure.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,555
    Experience:
    3 years
    Tiger barbs tend to like to nip other fish (especially fish with long fins) when kept in small numbers, in large numbers they keep the aggressiveness to themselves.
    For stocking, maybe this?:
    12 Tiger Barbs
    2 Geo Cichlids
    2 Firemouth Cichlids
    8 Sterbai Corydoras

Unfortunately, tiger loaches need a larger tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Nichtor

NichtorNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I thought 9 barbs would be enough. Thank you for the suggestions! And ill stay away from the loaches. I didnt know they got that big to be honest. I thought I remembered that they got 6 inch max but I just looked it up again now and i was way off. Will the sterbai corydoras thrive with sand??

6. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,555
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yep, sand is the best substrate for corydoras. They can sift through it by sucking it in through their mouth and out their gills.

7. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,151
    Experience:
    5 years
    What kind of geos do you have?

8. ams083

ams083Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Barbs are jerks. I had a about 13 a few years ago. Don't have them any more. They were alright until they matured then would just chase and nip anything. I had 3 gouramis at the time, 2 of which the tigers stayed clear of, but they would always harass one. Once I got rid of them, the tank was much more relaxed.