Gourami And Nerite Snails

fishman'iac
HI I’m ordering a nerite snail combo of amazon, and I’m wondering if my gourami is going to bother them? It’s a three spot... female if that helps. Thanks

BiggerIsBetta
Most likely not

Alex6455
I own a dwarf, not three spot, but I think that the gourami wouldn't bother the snails. My dwarf gourami is pretty aggressive, and the most I have ever seen him do to my nerites are gaze at them for a few seconds. Hope this helps! Nerites are great for your tank.

fishman'iac
Thanks it helps when someone replies that has experience I have a mystery snail and it’s about an inch, sometimes the gourami pushes it with its nose but doesn’t harm it...and nerites are way smaller... so I’ll hope for the best. Thanks

fishman'iac
Hey guys, how many nerite snails for a 36 gal aquarium? Amazon has a combo of 6, 3 zebra and 3 tiger. Is that to many? I have a bit algae but not to much? Would they starve? I already have a mystery snail. I want them more for the looks... thanks

EbiAqua
Six should be fine in a 36 IMO, even with a mystery snail. You can supplement their diet with veggies and algae wafers as well.

fishman'iac
Is there a certain brand algae wafers that you’d recommend? I have wardley .. is there a difference? What kind of veggies do they eat? Sorry lots of questions ... thanks

EbiAqua
Is there a certain brand algae wafers that you’d recommend? I have wardley .. is there a difference? What kind of veggies do they eat? Sorry lots of questions ... thanks

I personally use Hikari, but any high quality wafer will do. My tanks are very well planted so there is no shortage of plant matter and biofilm for my snails to eat. They really like zucchini, squash, melon rind, pumpkin, cucumber, spinach, and romaine lettuce.

fishman'iac
Wow! They eat more veggies than me! Lol. I tried cucumbers but the mystery snail wasn’t very interested. My blue gourami kept bumping it off with its nose. Thanks for the help! You seem to be taking care of all the rookie problems tonight

EbiAqua
Wow! They eat more veggies than me! Lol. I tried cucumbers but the mystery snail wasn’t very interested. My blue gourami kept bumping it off with its nose. Thanks for the help! You seem to be taking care of all the rookie problems tonight

Cucumber is always a popular recommendation but I find they like squash and zucchinI more. Cucumber is mostly water and breaks down in water faster, and isn't as good a source of things like calcium.

fishman'iac
Do you put it in raw?

EbiAqua
Do you put it in raw?

I use raw veggies, yes. Many will blanch the veggies to make them softer and help them sink, as raw veggies want to float. I find plant weights or even a fork stuck in will solve that issue easily. Seaweed and veggie clips would also work.

Why do I choose to use raw ones? Raw vegetables last longer and don't turn to mush in your tank as quickly. I can leave a raw slice of zucchinI in my tank for 2-3 days without issues vs 12 hours with a blanched piece.

fishman'iac
Thanks a bunch!

EbiAqua
Keep in mind I can afford to leave veggies in longer because I am filled to the brI'm with live plants, and as such a slice of zucchinI going a bit mushy won't affect my water quality (not that it does go bad when you have a hungry pleco and tons of snails). If you're lightly planted or not planted at all, I wouldn't keep them in for more than 24 hours.

fishman'iac
Just started to get into plants. I’ve gotten 3 so far , small sized .. 24 hrs it is

raiderRN4L
just from what others have used and some YouTube videos I've watched it seems that zucchinI is best choice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
Replies
Views
ThatMikeHill
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman