Gotta Redo It! 20 Gallon Tank 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Without going into details about why it needs a redoing (getting unexplained deaths not due to water quality), I am going to completely break down my tank, and redo it. New substrate, new rock, same plants and DW. I am planning on making a temp tank out of a tote.
Can anyone give me the steps to do this? My critters in the existing tank are snails, juvvy CPO crays and a few Thai micro crabs.
Im not asking for products best suited or whatever, but the best order to do it, for example, rocks out first, then water out? Or should some substrate go in the tote or none? When should the critters be extracted? These are the things I need to know!
Thanks!

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yikes, it sounds like you’ve had a lot of trouble! When I changed my gravel to sand I started by first siphoning out about 75% of the water. However I left about 4 gallons of water still in the bucket. I then placed the larger ornaments in a 5 gallon bucket and then I removed my plants and put them on the side. From there I removed all of my fish into the 5gallon bucket and then removed all of the sand and remaining water. I wiped down the inside of the aquarium with a clean towel and then put my new (already rinsed) substrate into the tank. Then I put the plants and ornaments back in, filled up the tank 75% of the way with dechlorinated water that’s the same temperature as my bucket. From there I added most of the bucket water, fish in, and then the rest of the bucket. That way it’s about a 75% water change

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Giul said:
Yikes, it sounds like you’ve had a lot of trouble! When I changed my gravel to sand I started by first siphoning out about 75% of the water. However I left about 4 gallons of water still in the bucket. I then placed the larger ornaments in a 5 gallon bucket and then I removed my plants and put them on the side. From there I removed all of my fish into the 5gallon bucket and then removed all of the sand and remaining water. I wiped down the inside of the aquarium with a clean towel and then put my new (already rinsed) substrate into the tank. Then I put the plants and ornaments back in, filled up the tank 75% of the way with dechlorinated water that’s the same temperature as my bucket. From there I added most of the bucket water, fish in, and then the rest of the bucket. That way it’s about a 75% water change
Thanks, thats a help. Yes, its been a struggle. I thought I had built a beautiful tank for neo shrimp and they mostly all died off, not due to cycles or any of that, but for unexplained reasons. I messed up somewhere, I dont know how because I have a beautiful red neo colony in a separate tank. So, I think I will try to reproduce the red neo tank I built that is doing great but keeping alive whats in this problem tank during the rebuild is my main concern.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kathryn Crook said:
Thanks, thats a help. Yes, its been a struggle. I thought I had built a beautiful tank for neo shrimp and they mostly all died off, not due to cycles or any of that, but for unexplained reasons. I messed up somewhere, I dont know how because I have a beautiful red neo colony in a separate tank. So, I think I will try to reproduce the red neo tank I built that is doing great but keeping alive whats in this problem tank during the rebuild is my main concern.
Just breathe and take your time! I was frustrated when my first shrimp didn’t breed for months on end but now I have several different sized shrimplettes in my tank. RO water did wonders for me too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom