Got Tricked :(

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 14, 2010.

1. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

So I went to Petsmart today, and saw that they had quite a few "aquatic" plants. I liked the look of the so called Aqua Fern, which is a trichomanes javanicum.

When I get home I rip open the package and then put them in my tanks. I then go to the internet to look them up (and yes I realize I should have done this in the reverse order). And to my dismay I find I've been tricked. That this plant isn't fully submersible. I'm so frustrated right now!!!

I called and talked to the "Pet Care" manager, and she told me I was wrong, but that she'd take them back despite the ripped packaging for store credit (well how kind of her, sheesh). She really talked down to me, which I didn't appreciate.

Does anyone of know if any of the plants that Petsmart sells are actually meant to be in aquariums? Now that I have to spend this store credit I'd like to actually get a plant that works for my aquarium. Any ideas?

2. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, they do have some aquatic plants, you just have to know exactly what you are looking for to avoid getting ripped off!

Java fern and anubias are generally available at chain stores. I've even found windelov (lace) java at Petsmart before. Sometimes you can get vallisneria and stuff like that too.

You know, I've also had a chain store employee try to tell me that all of the plants in the store were fully aquatic. I had a laugh over that one as I was leaving the store. :p

3. NutterFishlore VIPMember

We don't have Petsmart over here but I'm starting to get used to seeing this kind of story about them. From what I have read most of what they sell are terrestrial plants. I would go instore, write down the names of the plants, then go home again & research them. Then go back & make your selections based on your research. Otherwise just spend the store credit on some fish food or something & buy your plants elsewhere.

4. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

Ive actually been tricked by that same product too lol. If you look around there are a few stores that do still have actual tanks set up with plants in them and those are more often aquatic plants. If you are limited to the tube plants, Ive noticed a few plants they sell that are aquatic. The wisteria, anubias, and amazon swords were the only ones I noticed at my petsmart that were true aquatics, but many of these plants were actually cultivated to grow outside of the water... so many of the leaves are actually terrestrial leaves and may die off as the plant begins to grow new aquatic leaves. Once the plant starts growing new leaves, it does seem to take off and thrive in my experience.

hope that helps :)

5. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

I too fell for the trick when I first got into plants. Research what you buy first. =)

6. I've also been tricked by Petsmart and there "not quite so aquatic" plants.

I agree about doing your research.....I didn't do mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  7. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I had this problem with Petco, not Petsmart. I bought one of their large plant bundles and went home and googled all the plants. Sure enough, not one of them was truly aquatic. Now, whenever I see a plant that I'm not familiar with, I put the name of it in the notepad of my phone and go home and look it up. It really sucks because the plants that come in the tubes at Petco are usually in much better health than ANYTHING they have in the tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice