Got The Wrong Fish, Which Is What

nikm128

So I went to get two Siamese flying fox, and just now realized (a month later) they don't look the same. So now I'm thinking I have one flying fox and one algae eater, can anyone confirm? SFGiantsGuy ? Oh and which one is which?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

goldface

Top is Siamese Algae Eater. I know this as I have 2. The bottom seems to be Flying Fox.

nikm128

Cool thank you both, ironically the SAE seems to be more aggressive of the two, chasing the SFF around the tank at times. Other than that, do you think they'll get along for now? Or would it be best to take one back and get a few more of the one I keep?

SFGiantsGuy

Definite SAE I.D. protocol: 1. The central, black horizontal stripe is broken and muddled. 2. The central stripe will extend to the end of the caudal fin. 4. As they age, they tend to grow plumper. And finally, most prominently, 5. They tend to rest on object at about a 30 degree actue angle from the point of their tails/caudal fin, as the other doppelgänger fish do not display this behavior, and will rest on their bellies instead. Here’s an SAE resting on my substrate:

Attachments

• B678E3E3-57A1-48F6-A8D5-E6AE2E980A5E.jpeg
    B678E3E3-57A1-48F6-A8D5-E6AE2E980A5E.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 83
  • 44F8281E-F983-4018-9447-A8F0F573BD6E.jpeg
    44F8281E-F983-4018-9447-A8F0F573BD6E.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 84

SFGiantsGuy

Furthermore, any other non-SAE’s can be aggressive towards practically any other fish, have colored fins, more than 2 pairs of barbels, and a smooth, non-broken central stripe,

AVNS27

Other than that, do you think they'll get along for now? Or would it be best to take one back and get a few more of the one I keep?
I don't think they'll get along. Especially once the flying fox matures as SFGiantsGuy has said. I think its better to return the SFF and get more SAEs as they say that they do better in groups.

SFGiantsGuy

It’s one of those ironically odd frequency of fish that can be tough to find, when you’re resorted to searching far and wide, and when you finally come across one, you do have to look close! And then, when you examine it to verify it’s authenticity, if it is NOT the real deal, back to square one. : (

86 ssinit

Ok I’m thinking there both sae. Need a better pic of the second one to be sure.

SFGiantsGuy

His second one has a semI black dorsal fin, so possibly not an SAE, but yeah a more detailed and clear side view pic would help us determine what it actually is.

Coptapia

Top pic is an SAE (also called Siamese Flying Fox). Bottom picture is Garra cambodgiensis (used to be called the Siamese Stone Lapper).

nikm128

Ok I’m thinking there both sae. Need a better pic of the second one to be sure.
Sure, I'll get another when I get home

Dennis57

Top one is a Siamese Algae Eater. I have 2 of them in my 55 gallon

86 ssinit

Coptapia got it. Seems like a social fish that doesn’t get to big. Should be no problem in your tank.

nikm128

Alright cool, I take it I should still get another SAE or two though right?

Coptapia

Alright cool, I take it I should still get another SAE or two though right?

They should be kept in groups of 6+ in a minimum tank size of 5ft x 18”, with fast flowing water. Most people ignore this when it comes to SAEs.

86 ssinit

They should be kept in groups of 6+ in a minimum tank size of 5ft x 18”, with fast flowing water. Most people ignore this when it comes to SAEs.

Yes most people don’t have 5’ tanks when they get them. I have 2 in a 90 for over a year. 1 in a 45 that may go into the 90 and 3 in a 30 gal tank. All seem fine.

angelcraze

Top pic is an SAE (also called Siamese Flying Fox). Bottom picture is Garra cambodgiensis (used to be called the Siamese Stone Lapper).
So you are saying SAE and SFF is the same fish?

Coptapia

So you are saying SAE and SFF is the same fish?

Yes, Siamese Flying Fox is another name often used for the SAE.

nikm128

Ok, I thought they shoaled so I would be ok with 2-4. I can get more now that I know which one I'm looking for. I can meet all of that except the 5' tank...
Should I return the non algae eater to get the extra space?

Coptapia

Ok, I thought they shoaled so I would be ok with 2-4. I can get more now that I know which one I'm looking for. I can meet all of that except the 5' tank...
Should I return the non algae eater to get the extra space?

They don’t shoal as such, but live in loose groups, with a distinct ‘pecking order’ within the group. 2-4 might work, or the smallest may get picked on, which is why 6 or more is usually better (both species). I don’t think there’ll be ‘room’ for the Garra with a few SAEs...

nikm128

Alright, so I'll see if I can make space for them in a 75g, and if I can I'll return the Garra for some more SAE. If not I'll just take both back

SFGiantsGuy

I would...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
KyleC17
Replies
Views
Drewbacca