Got the long haul today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So since we're setting up the 20 long today, we went on a little shopping spree! I'm stuck in traffic so I can't put any pictures up yet, but this means you guys get to guess what we bought.

So, in addition to an AquaClear 50, what do you think we got? We already had the tank, stand, and substrate. I'll post pics when we're all done! Help keep me entertained in this terrible traffic! (Don't worry, I'm not driving ;D)

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, you people fail at keeping me entertained during traffic If no one wants to play my guessing game, fine! *pout*

Got the 10 gallon torn down, two cories (that quarantined for like three months, haha) floating in the 55 gallon to keep warm, setting up the 20 long. Boyfriend used a hole saw to cut a hole in the back of the stand so we can hide all the cords in the cubby hole thing. He's pulling cords through now. Sand is all washed, so soon we'll start filling everything up!

No one is guessing the plants I bought, so I guess you'll all just have to die of suspense until I put up pictures.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't all line up at once now

All done!! And it only took four hours haha. Tore down the 10 gallon, put the rocks and wood and plants in a bucket of old tank water, and floated the cories in the 55 gallon.

Boyfriend drilled a hole in the back of the stand to pull the cords threw, and put the background on the tank (black of course!). Sand was washed, and I scaped the tank. SO much easier now that the hood is larger, and thus the opening is large enough that I can actually fit my arm in! Boiled the new piece of driftwood. Funny story about that; I found a really small piece that maybe broke off a larger piece, but maybe not. Either way it didn't have a colored tag on it (how the LFS designates prices on driftwood) and I asked the manager (who knows my boyfriend and me very well, as we're there nearly every weekend) how much he wanted for it, and he looked at it for a second and said "$3.99?" When the girl went to ring it up, long story short the easy route had it come out to $3.79. Such a steal!

As for what else we bought today:

In the 20 gallon..
-2 cardinal plants. Never heard of these, they're the purple ones on the left.
-1 water sprite. I've heard it mentioned but never seen it before. I like it! It looks like carrot tops haha.
-1 rosette sword. According to my brief internet search on my phone at the store, it's supposed to be the same as a compacta sword and isn't supposed to get as big. Hopefully it doesn't grow too much! I like it the way it is haha.

In the 55 gallon:
-1 purple hippo grass!! I've heard it mentioned once or twice but not much came up on a google search, except the page on Drs Foster and Smith. I just bought one; we'll see how it does. If it does well then I'll get another. It's going in the high light tank with CO2 to give it the best chance.

I also got another anubias afzelii (tube at Petsmart) but I forgot about it and scaped the tank...so it's currently floating in the 55 gallon haha. I got it to contrast the anubias nana (broad versus narrow leaves). I already have one in the betta tank, and there's definitely no room in the shrimp tank. So either I rearrange the 20 and squeeze it in or it goes in the 55. I'm not too keen on rearranging the 20; 1. because I just spent four hours working on it and 2. because I think it would look too crowded. It's probably borderline too planty but I like plants! Also my LFS got their shipment like a day ago, so there were a ton of choices and everything was looking really nice. There were a few things I wanted but passed up. I need another tank so I can get more plants.

Also....I got some horned nerites!! I'm so excited. I've wanted some for ages, and they've NEVER had any. And trust me, I check all the time! They're currently in the betta tank with my two other nerites (zebra and tracked) while an assassin makes sure all the remaining pond snails are gone.

Anyway, I think that's about it. Phew, I'm tired! Long day. Tomorrow (in addition to doing the boatloads of homework/studying I have) I have to acclimate/move Ernesto and clean the 55, 5.5, and 2.5 gallon tanks. Busy weekend! Hopefully next weekend will be more relaxing haha.

Attachments

SugarJunkee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow!! Love the plants, arranged really nice too. Those purples look great in there, and now I must find some of that purple hippo grass because it looks awesome!

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys! I've never heard of the cardinal plants, but according to my brief search "moderate light" is sufficient, so hopefully it does well. If not, it'll go in the 55 gallon. (That's my plant dumping ground haha.) I'll get a better picture of them.

Edit: Better picture of them!

Attachments

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Turns out the page on pink hippo grass wasn't on Drs Foster and Smith's site. Here it is, in case anyone was curious.

Edit: AP nope it's planted. Also turns out it was "pink hippo grass" and no purple. Close enough

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks pretty, I wouldn't mind having that plant in my tank.

Scientific name is : Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'

Featherfin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice! Very fun to go on fish shopping sprees I LOVE that hippo plant! I'm interested to see how it grows for you. I couldn't grow it in a moderate light tank but now I have it in a high light tank it's finally coming back to life. I'm going to order some more... I wouldn't mind having a whole tank full of it lol it's beautiful *.*

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love it! We are setting up a 20g long soon and we love the look of yours! What are you stocking it with?

nyyfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow!! Your tank looks great. I plan on doing a 20 gallon long with black sand, plants and caves soon too. I can only hope mine comes out as lovely as yours-but I doubt it will even come close!

FridayGt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nice! Very fun to go on fish shopping sprees I LOVE that hippo plant! I'm interested to see how it grows for you. I couldn't grow it in a moderate light tank but now I have it in a high light tank it's finally coming back to life. I'm going to order some more... I wouldn't mind having a whole tank full of it lol it's beautiful *.*
Darn, this sounds to me like it won't grow in my single T8 fixture 55 gallon tank.

Really wanted to get some of them too!

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aww thanks guys!

Featherfin, it'll be in a 55 gallon with 2x 54W T5HOs, CO2 injection and dry ferts. Hopefully it'll do well! I really like it and would love to get another one next weekend.

midnamoondog, our stocking plan is:

1 male apistogramma trifasciata
8-10 male blackbar endlers
10 neons
2 green cories

Long story about the cories...we kept getting them from Petsmart/LFS etc but only two out of six survived. They seem to like hanging out together and don't mind being just the two of them though, so to keep the bioload a little lower (since we have quite a few fish planned haha) I don't think we'll be getting any more.

Aww thanks nyyfan! I'm sure yours will look great I really recommend the Tahitian moon sand; it's sparkley and looks more interesting than plain sand I think. I also like using black backgrounds; with the black sand it really makes the plants stand out. And bubbles look pretty against a black background too We'll be sticking the airstone back in today too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom