Got The Ich, Lost My Fish.

Fishmom1

I lost all four of my fish (2 mollies and 2 platties) to the ich. I would like to start over and restock the tank. Is there anything I can use to clean the tank to make sure there isn't any ick left in the tank? I finished out the ich treament on an empty tank, is there anything else I should or just empty the tank and try again?

andychrissytank

you could try heat therapy~ just raise the temperature to 86F-88F for 14 days and the ich parasites that are living will simply die of "heat exhaustion"
there are medications like rapid cure or rid ich but the heat therapy is free ;]

BottomDweller

I would raise the temperature to around 86f which should kill the ich

Edit: Typing at the same time as andychrissytank, I agree with them

Chaory

The higher heat will speed up the ich cycle.

OnTheFly

14 day treatment or bleach everything with a weak bleach solution. Rinse many times and use a dechlorinator. That doesn't work for a cycled filter and media so you still need some heat unless you care to cycle over with a sterile filter. I wouldn't do that. Take the heat as high as you can since no fish and all will be well very soon. Speed their lifecycle up and starve them out with no fish. They need a host to survive for the next ich cycle.

Mom2some

Sorry for your loss - it is frustrating for me when I lose fish to something like ICH.
Was the tank cycled? If there is not an ongoing ammonia source then your cycle in the filter will die. So the option to crank the heat up high will only be a real benefit if you can keep an ammonia source in the tank. However, if you have finished the ICH treatment you used, then your tank *should* be good to go.

SilverRose

If it's ich, my process is to wash it each day for a week with Detergent and well-watered down bleach. Then I re-cycled my tank for about a week with the temperature raised higher at 85 degrees F. Then I'd lower the water temp. a tiny bit after the cycling week until I reached 78 degrees F for my three mollies. It's worked for me, so maybe you want to try it out, too?

IRTehDar

The ich parasite has a lifecycle of just under a month. The heat treatment doesn't actually kill the monsters it just stops them from reproducing. So they grow old and die peacefully. Or you can starve them out. You said there were no fish in the tank. That means there's no foodsource. That would work too.

OnTheFly

IRTehDar said:
The ich parasite has a lifecycle of just under a month. The heat treatment doesn't actually kill the monsters it just stops them from reproducing. So they grow old and die peacefully. Or you can starve them out. You said there were no fish in the tank. That means there's no foodsource. That would work too.
From articles I have read it is my understanding they can actually be killed with temps around 89-90 degrees. I'm sure the length of their life cycle is highly dependent on temperature. At temps around 80 it is greatly sped up. Around 86 these cease to have the ability to multiply. Increased temps are desired so they will leave the host fish and become free swimming where they are vulnerable to meds, or salt if you are treating them with salt and heat.

Top Bottom