Got some wood

1. Abalisa Member Member

Got some driftwood from the river. The one on the left is going in my tank eventually, have to find something big enough to soak it in...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Oooh, those are nice! I love free driftwood! =D

3. Fall River Member Member

Very nice indeed!! Excellent find. :)

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Cool love the snarled look.

5. iRun Member Member

Those are great! Every time I see posts like this I feel REALLY stupid for paying $70 for my wood at a lfs.

6. Abalisa Member Member

Dont feel bad, i've paid for whats in my tank now. Wish i had a big enough tank for the one on the right, it's fanstastic! I would have to take everything else out to use it though, & it still might not fit. Hubby will probably use it for a taxidermy scene.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ew o.o'

8. Abalisa Member Member

Ok, finally got it soaked & in the tank! Water is cloudy from me moving plants, but i really like it. Still deciding/researching plants for the back left side...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Beautiful

10. crayfish1 Initiate Member

When Introducing natural driftwood to a tank boil it first until you remove the tannins and it will sterilize it.It may take or three good boilings to be safe

11. Abalisa Member Member

It is too big to boil, i soaked it for a week pouring in fresh piping hot salt water every night, then for another week with just hot water every night (hubby was not too happy about it). That was the only thing I could think of to do since it is such a large piece. It has been in the tank for awhile with no bad effects so i think it's ok. It is too big to put in the oven too.

12. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

i had read that if it was to big to boil, to pour boiling water over it several times. I thought, no way that can be effective. but, i tried it and it worked perfectly, i would say you good to go. nice pieces by the way.

13. Abalisa Member Member

Thanks!

14. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Have you had the white fuzzy slimey thing growing on driftwood yet? Every time I get a new piece it always happen.

Just curious ;-)

15. Abalisa Member Member

Yes actually. It's starting to go away though. My other 2 store bought ones never did that, my theory is that the plecos dont use the long thin branches so it doesnt get scraped off. I could be totally wrong but there isnt any on the new wood where they have been hanging out.