Got some Nerites today

Discussion in 'Snails' started by LyleB, Nov 29, 2012.

1. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Well, I got my six Nerites from the post office today. They attempted delivery yesterday afternoon, but I wasn't home, and didn't get to the PO in time to claim them. They spent the night indoors, not in the truck. Picked them up this AM, as soon as it opened. They seemed to be packed well, boxed, surrounded by Styrofoam peanuts, with a still-warm heat pack. I acclimated them to my tank for over an hour, adding ~1/4 cup doses of tank water to the bag every 8 to 10 minutes. I then lowered them via a net into the front corner of the tank.

Unfortunately, they have been in the tank for about 9-10 hours now, and not a one of them has moved. They do not respond when I touch them. None smell, or have protruded from it's shell at all. They range in size from just under quarter size to a large pea size.

Hoping they are just taking their time. First purchase via mail, and first purchase of Nerites.

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

They are active mostly at night but I suspect they are probably just getting used to being in the new tank. I will bet they will come out to explore in a few days.
    Just make sure to cover up any holes or areas in your tank that they may escape from.

My Nerites stayed above the water line the first week they were in my tank, then they started to go inside my filters, etc.
    They were really naughty :mad:
    Now since I put out zucchini for the other snails, they have decided that they like it better than the filters :)

They are cute, aren't they?

Junne

3. OP
    OP
    L

LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Well, it's been four days. The second night, one of the larger snails became active, and has been slowly exploring the tank. The other five have not moved as yet.

I have been in touch with the seller, and he says, in his experience, they sometimes take up to a week before they recover from the shipping. Says as long as I can still see "snail" and not empty shell, to just give them time, and keep him informed. Seems like a nice enough guy, has responded twice to my two emails so far. Keeping my fingers crossed, they are cute.

4. Junne

Maybe put out some zucchini for them and see if they take the bait :)

5. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

They are probably just settling in I have never had shipped snails so I haven't had any experience with that sorry but I would keep an eye on them.

Is there algae in the tank for them to munch on entice them out? If not maybe put some food in for them to try and stimulate a response

6. OP
    OP
    L

There is brown algae and probably some diatoms for them. Actually, that was why I got them. The Mystery snail is growing well in that tank, but he/she chows down on the zucchini when I give it. Has also made a couple algae wafers disappear quickly. Not sure if that was the snail or the pygmy corys. ;-)

Will place some zucchini near them this evening. They'll probably have to fight the Mystery for it though.

7. Junne

Maybe try put a few different pieces at different areas of the tank :)

8. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol they may be a little traumatised from the journey. I thought one of my mysteries died but I thought I would wait and see and just put in an algae wafer and guess who is munching on it :)

Although Henry my new ish betta is lieing on the other half of the wafer I think he will soon learn not to come between a snail and their food the little monkey lol.

Myrtle my blood tiger nerite has been known to close up and stay in her shell for a day or two at a time to be randomly found roaming the tank

9. OP
    OP
    L

Unfortunately, when I came home from work today the Tiger nerite was out of it's shell, decomposing. So one alive, one dead, four still very questionable.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

10. Junne

Oh I am so sorry :(
    I wonder what happened? I guess the travel might have stressed them out. I would keep an eye on the others - also just make sure none of your fish are picking at them. I know its hard to keep tabs on them 24/7 but maybe from a distance just watch. I didn't know for awhile why my snails would hide and then die until I watched several of my tiger barbs having a tag team and beating my snails to death. Just a thought.

Also take a picture so you can send it to the seller.....

Again, I am sorry. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

snails are snails and when you ship you can expect atleast 1 death just keep your fingers crossed :) i have MTS from a Roak and all of them survived in very cold temperatures there was once 15 now just a mere month or so later there are at least 30 babies lol idk what to do with them :)

12. OP
    OP
    L

Well, I've kept the empty shell if he requests a photo. I don't think he will. He sent an extra from what the offer was, in case of DOA. I did send him an email to inform him.

I only have Neons and pygmy corys in the tank, haven't seen any of them even curious about the new snails. The Mystery Snail has crawled over them a few times, but I haven't seen him sticking around to harass them really. They've pretty much stayed wherever I put them.

13. Junne

I think in general Nerites and Mystery snails are much more sensitive than MTS snails.

Hope the others come around soon! :)

14. OP
    OP
    L

Just an update:

Only the one snail survived the shipping. She is now laying eggs all over my tank! Not sure if I'm happy or not. :) I know they won't hatch in fresh water. Glad she is happy and healthy, but the eggs may become a pain.

The seller sent a second shipment last Monday to make up for the losses, was supposed to be here Wed or Thur, but I have not received it yet. I'm quite sure it will be a total loss, as it's quite cold.

15. Junne

I'm so sorry :(
    - is the shipper using heat packs when they ship? if not, that's something I would suggest and pay extra for if you can.

16. OP
    OP
    L

Yes, they were well packed, oversize box, lined with Styrofoam, heat pack that was till warm on arrival, foam pellets surrounding the bag of snails. I have no complaints of how they were packed. The entire box interior was still warm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice