Got some fry. On accident.

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Makena95'GT, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GT Well Known Member Member

I just happened to glance as I was walking by my deformed guppy habitat. All the girls with messed up spines have their little harem. And. I saw fry. So I stood there and watched, figured out which girl was giving birth and separated her. I actually got to witness her pop out 5 fry. It was pretty amazing. All my fry are hanging out in a little ghetto makeshift tank with a heater but no filter. Only 8 of them. 50% water changes daily with Prime. They're happy little buggers. Seems to prefer the "First Bites" over every other food I have offered.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354132043.574628.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354132093.967901.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354132133.749817.jpg

2. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Nice. You think the fry will be deformed?

3. Lisa MacAlpine

Lisa MacAlpine Valued Member Member

Cool!

4. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

I'm not sure. I'd hope not. I'm also hoping I'll get some pretty males from these 8. There were 3 Cobra guppy males with the females before I separated them. Hoping to get more :)

5. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Congrats on your fry.

6. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Thank you! One passed away last night. So now I'm down to 7. But 7 is better than nothing! :)

7. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I like your setup for the fry. I tried a seperate tank but most died off. Now I just have tons of plants inside the main tank and they seem to find a way to survive pretty easily without my help lol

8. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

I just had the same issue. I'm down to 1 fry. Moved it to the 10 gallon with some mosquito fish.

9. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I lost one fry moving it from the seperate tank to the main one but didn't lose any others out of the ones I rescued. With the next batch I just left them in a breeding net until they were big enough to leave the net how I did this was to just submerge the net enough for the fry to get out if they wanted but so the adults couldn't get in. The fry were cute exploring but always returning to the net for lights out!

Later on the net slipped down further and the strangest thing happened my adults began to explore inside the net which I guess was to explore and see if anything was still edible. But then a female swam in there to give birth and then swam out after she finished. A lot of the new fry were not as smart as their older cousins but 4 got the idea and stayed in there... now if only I could teach them about birth control........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice