Got some carpeting plant seeds

peapuffer123

Does any one have any tips on planting these and making sure they grow I really want a nice plant carpet

kansas

What plant is that?

peapuffer123

i dont know the name but it looks like this

peapuffer123

I think there legit but if not I also ordered some dwarf baby tears so I’ll be darned if I can’t get a good plant carpet lol
Anyone got any tips on getting one started

I just ordered some dwarf babies tears and some carpeting plant seeds and I was wondering if there’s anything special I need to do to get a healthy plant carpet going or do I just plant them and let them do their thing

BlackOsprey

Dwarf baby tears will not survive without bright light and injected CO2.

The best way to get a carpet going is to have nutrient rich substrate, and to dry-start the plants. It's much easier for the plants to grow strong and really get their roots in when there's no water in the tank to limit their access to CO2 or make them float out of the substrate.

Whether you dry or wet-start, it's best to divide the plants you get and spread them out evenly over the area you want them to grow. They'll fill in the space much faster than if you planted them in a single, dense clump.

peapuffer123

Ok thanks so much
I don’t have co2 injection in my tank is there any other way for my dwarf baby tears to be successful

Dwarf baby tears will not survive without bright light and injected CO2.

The best way to get a carpet going is to have nutrient rich substrate, and to dry-start the plants. It's much easier for the plants to grow strong and really get their roots in when there's no water in the tank to limit their access to CO2 or make them float out of the substrate.

Whether you dry or wet-start, it's best to divide the plants you get and spread them out evenly over the area you want them to grow. They'll fill in the space much faster than if you planted them in a single, dense clump.
I don’t want my babies tears to die and I don’t have co2 is there anyway I can get them to be successful without co2

BlackOsprey

I don’t want my babies tears to die and I don’t have co2 is there anyway I can get them to be successful without co2
As far as I know, co2 is a must for them if they're underwater. You could probably keep them alive if you grew them emersed (wet roots but leaves exposed to the air).

peapuffer123

Ok cool is there anything special I need to do if I get some co2

BlackOsprey

Probably read up on how to properly run a CO2 injection system. It's not rocket science, but you need to know how to make it work and how to properly balance CO2 levels in your tank, because too much or too little can both cause really big problems.
Oh and get ready to fork over a wad of cash, because those things aren't cheap. There's DIY CO2 that's cheaper, but more labor-intensive and prone to fluctuations and accidents.

Fishstery

Does any one have any tips on planting these and making sure they grow I really want a nice plant carpet
Use monte carlo, probably the easiest carpeting plant and grows extremely well emersed. If no co2 then research DSM and use that method. The monte carlo will melt a bit duriung the transitionary period upon flooding the tank but with adequate light should spring back fine.

Co2 injection however is preferred for all carpets although there's a lot of people with carpets in low tech but requires proper setup and plant husbandry to do so. No matter what route you take, providing high light is the key to keeping growth horizontal and compact. Too low light and most plants start to get leggy. Also understanding proper trimming techniques as carpets require a special level of maintenance to ensure the lower older growth doesn't rot away resulting in portions of the carpet starting to float. Get yourself some quality aquasoil for sure and get a fine grain since for better and easier root anchoring.

I have zero experience with seeds as I like to know exactly what I'm getting. In the US some plant species are illegal and invasive and that varies state to state. Some online and international sellers may either mislabel seeds and send you some random plant that isn't even fully aquatic or may send you an invasive species. Always get the seeds from a trusted source. Good luck.

Tigerburp

I tried seeds once I didn’t manage to get a single good plant so don’t get your hopes up,most of the seeds would become moldy

peapuffer123

Ok I really hope they turn out I spent my good money on those

LurkingontheReg

Was curious in trying this myself and watched this video a couple days ago.

Kelvin12

Haven't tried the ground cover seeds myself but have had good success with the leaf varieties. I did find buying from a good rated ebay shop made a difference to success. $14 to the $2 shops.
I think getting the sprouted plants out of the substrate this girl uses would be a nightmare. I use 2 layers of cheap kitchen wipe paper. That way it won't break up and disentegrate. I just use the one piece or cut them into sections as you want. I just use tank water for initial germination as a moist spray initially as she does to get them going but no additional top coverage of substrate material . Later after they have grown a bit to a reasonable height I start the deeper water process slowly a couple of milimeters a week or so. Keep the leaf tips moist with a daily spray or two. Mine starter pots are in large plastic tub with a spare LED but be careful not to cook them.
Tried the hair grass seeds but it was so so for all the effort and the few fish I have soon destroyed it. Shrimp love the leafy plants whatever they are. The seller nominated what tgey were but I couldnt verify it but they do look interesting and grow well.
Hope all this is making sense.

peapuffer123

I planted the seeds last night my tank is already running so I just put the seeds in the substrate and am hoping for the best
Haven't tried the ground cover seeds myself but have had good success with the leaf varieties. I did find buying from a good rated ebay shop made a difference to success. $14 to the $2 shops.
I think getting the sprouted plants out of the substrate this girl uses would be a nightmare. I use 2 layers of cheap kitchen wipe paper. That way it won't break up and disentegrate. I just use the one piece or cut them into sections as you want. I just use tank water for initial germination as a moist spray initially as she does to get them going but no additional top coverage of substrate material . Later after they have grown a bit to a reasonable height I start the deeper water process slowly a couple of milimeters a week or so. Keep the leaf tips moist with a daily spray or two. Mine starter pots are in large plastic tub with a spare LED but be careful not to cook them.
Tried the hair grass seeds but it was so so for all the effort and the few fish I have soon destroyed it. Shrimp love the leafy plants whatever they are. The seller nominated what tgey were but I couldnt verify it but they do look interesting and grow well.
Hope all this is making sense.
Are my seeds doomed since I didn’t dry start them

Kelvin12

Don't know but on one package I got from the cheap ebay $2 sellers it said to turn off your filter and sprinkle the seeds over the substrate but don't covercov. Then after 2 hours turn the filter back on. I definately can't see that working as seeds certainly wouldn't germinate in that time and they would just circulate around the tank with the water flow.
I know just from my experience growing from seeds they take around 2 weeks to germinate most of the time in the damp container system.
See how you go you never know it might just work.

peapuffer123

I really hope so I’ll do an update in about a week or two so keep your eyes out

peapuffer123

I planted some carpeting plant seeds a couple days ago and I got my first sprout!

PlantedCommunityTank132

nice. what plant is it?

peapuffer123

i’ll admit I don't know but I'm trying to figure it out I'm growing some of those carpet plant seeds
nice. what plant is it?
I’d appreciate if you could help me id it (it’s supposed to look like this when full grown)

bored411

i’ll admit I don't know but I'm trying to figure it out I'm growing some of those carpet plant seeds

I’d appreciate if you could help me id it (it’s supposed to look like this when full grown)
looks like Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides).

peapuffer123

looks like Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides).
That’s exactly what it is thank you so much

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
ZDFrost
Replies
Views
Jallen42
  • Question