Got Some Awesome Grapevine - Can I Use It?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by oscarsbud, Dec 16, 2012.

1. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

We went to our niece's new house today and in the backyard was a big chunk of grapevine that they had cut loose from a fence that was in the front yard. It was so cool looking I had my husband cut some off for me to bring home and put in my tank. Now I'm not sure. It's not "dead" yet so will it still be okay to use in the tank? I plan on boiling and soaking it for a bit before adding it, but want to make sure it will be alright. I have looked through older posts about this but still wanted to get other opinions - And I wanted to show off my gnarly piece of wood :).

Some pictures:

IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

That is definitely a unique piece you have there! I would recommend putting it somewhere dry for a year or so and then boil before use. I always get aged grapevine for that reason. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to shortcut it, nor the effects putting green wood in your tank would have, though I know it is generally not recommended.

3. OP
    OP
    oscarsbud

:;smack Killjoy ;). In the back of my mind I figured I would have to wait a while. But you know how it is - you are always looking for that one person to say sure go ahead. I guess it'll go out into the shed until at least next summer.

4. Matt B

Sorry! I'm one of those "better safe than sorry" boring people. :;laughing

5. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe you could put it in the oven on warm for a few hours or set by woodstove? Might speed up the process.

6. OP
    OP
    oscarsbud

Last time I used the oven to bake some wood the oven broke and somehow it became my fault because I put sticks in it. If we used the fireplace more I would keep it by there to warm it up. Maybe I can put it in the laundry room. That's the warmest room in the house and might do the trick. At least it might be a lot closer to being dried out by summer.

7. Matt B

I don't know, the laundry room can be the most humid because of the dryer.

8. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

wait a year oh man i would die... im the better sorry then safe kinda guy

9. OP
    OP
    oscarsbud

Our laundry room is vented pretty good so I don't think moisture will be a huge problem. And then I can put it high enough so the cats don't decorate it with their claws before I am ready to use it.

@OnTheFry - I doubt I will wait a whole year. It is going to kill me to wait until spring/early summer.

One nice thing about waiting, though, is that the piece is pretty pliable right now and I think I can bend it to dry into whatever shape I want.

10. OP
    OP
    oscarsbud

I have had the grapevine soaking in the tub for almost a month. I took it out the other day. It was too big to go into one tank, so we cut it in half and put part in each tank. It is still floating and probably will for a while. The BN and snails in the big tank love it. The fry in the smaller tank are constantly swimming in and out of the cracks and crevices. I almost wish it wouldn't sink.

Anyway, a couple of pictures of the 75 gallon tank:

IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg

And some of the 150:

IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice