50 Gallon Tank Got Rummy Nose Tetras instead of Congos

Arp123
The Congo tetras which were on sale were all females and looke really dull. Apparently , people had bought the male ones. So, I bought rummy noses instead. The LFS got them the previous night and were literally colorless(they noses were white). So I bought 3 of them. The LFS ADDED methyl blue to the bag. I drip acclimated them for 1 hour or so. I introduced them to the tank. I added a few HikarI Discus Bio-gold pellets and they pecked at them. But they still seem colorless. The red on their nose hasn't come back. How long does it take for them to adjust to the tank and show their amazing colors. Thanks In advance!!

Lilibeth_Seasong
They should really be in schools of at least six. If you up the school and keep good water quality their colors should improve. I have heard they can be quite finicky, so keep an eye on them for a couple weeks. If they get past that they should be fine.

Pictures are always welcome.

Arp123
I might be getting another 3 int he coming week. I don't trust Petco's quality that much. Like, how many weeks should I wait for them to adjust and be comfortable especially when they were moved from one tank to another in less than 12 hours.

psalm18.2
Why would the store put meds in the fish bag?? Seems odd.

Lilibeth_Seasong
They should settle in within a few days.

Please keep me updated on your experience with Rummies...I'm half thinking about getting some.

Arp123
I researched about methyl blue. The website says that methyl blue kills parasites, gets rid of fungus, etc. Lilibeth_Seasong, I'll surely keep you updated about the rummies.

Arp123
Thanks everyone

tropicalfishlover
I would definitely get at least three more if not more. IMO They are by far the prettiest of all Tetras once they aren't stressed and how they have such vibrant red noses and are one of the best schoolers as they school so tight together. They are also rather shy so you might want to have a few big plants in there for them to hide behind.

Arp123
So it's been 4 days and none of the rummynose tetras have died and are eating. I have them HikarI Micro Wafers instead of the Discus Bio-gold as they like the wafers more. Their tail colors have darkened, and their noses are a light pinkish color and school and swim up and down the tank glass. I'm still worried about the noses of the rummies that they haven't colored up yet.

LyndaB
Rummies actually require a larger school than most other tetras. I have over a dozen of them. The more you have, the calmer they become. They are quite fearful as a species and absolutely must be kept with very peaceful other species, so you'll have to be careful what else you stock in this tank.

You also need to be spot on with your water parameters as they are very sensitive and will be the first to die if you let you maintenance go.

They have not colored up yet because you do not have a complete school. You would've been better off buying at least 8 of them at once and putting them into the tank as a school. How soon until you can get more?

Arp123
I'll be getting 3 more in the coming week or next week. It depends on when my dad is willing to take me.

LyndaB
Do yourself and your other rummies a favor. Get 5 more.

Arp123
Is it ok if I add 3 now and 2 later if my bio load is going to get affected or add them all at once.

LyndaB
Get them all at once. It's okay for your bioload and it's better for the fish.

escapay
I agree, I would get them all at once. I successfully added 6 to my quarantine tank with no issues. They weren't properly colored - more of a pink nose, but gained the red within a week or two.

Are these Hemigrammus bleheri? They're my favorite fish now. ^_^

Mamajin
Arp123 said:
I'll be getting 3 more in the coming week or next week. It depends on when my dad is willing to take me.

The Congos... A good ratio is 2 males to every 3 females. They also love a bit of water flow (I have a water circulation pump and they are so funny to watch go through the stream and fly to the other side of the tank. They do this repeatedly like little kids going on a water slide lol). Be careful with live plants. They turned my Anubias into a chef salad.

psalm18.2 said:
Why would the store put meds in the fish bag?? Seems odd.
If it was Methylene Blue... , helps the fish to increases oxygen absorption, both a bactericide, fungicide, an anti-protozoan (kills parasites), and is easily absorbed into their skin to help fight internal infections. It's very gentle and does not cause the fish any stress. Any knowledgeable fish company that ships fish directly to the consumer uses it in the shipping bags (such as Live Aquaria). Very uncommon to see a LFS use it though.

Arp123
I think they are the hemmigramus blheri. They have two dots on their tail both the top and bottom and don't have a line on their body as well.

Arp123
So now it's been a week since the rummies have been in my tank. Unforutnately 2 of the 3 rummynose tetras have a green spot on their heads. Does anybody know what that is? They're eating fine.

Arp123
Need some help?

escapay
Arp123 said:
So now it's been a week since the rummies have been in my tank. Unforutnately 2 of the 3 rummynose tetras have a green spot on their heads. Does anybody know what that is? They're eating fine.
I think that is normal - at least I've seen it on many of them. Like a green-ish tint on the forehead.

LyndaB
That spot is normal coloration for them. Not to worry.

Latest threads

Top Bottom