Got Random Fish With Feeder Shrimp? Id?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Bry, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

I couldn't find the proper page, I'm sorry.
    I got this guy for "free" when I bought some feeder shrimp, like two weeks ago, for my puffer. I figured Squirt would just eat him, but he seems to just be part of the tank now. They swim together and everything. I'm assuming he's some sort of feeder fish? So, what is he? Should I get some more? Sorry the pictures aren't the best, he doesn't sit still *ever*

Attached Files:

2. Hondacivic

HondacivicWell Known MemberMember

It looks like a tiny flying fox?

3. sinned4g63

sinned4g63Well Known MemberMember

Looks similar to a flying fox or Siamese algae eater. If that's the case that's kind of cool.. Never had a flying fox but I absolutely LOVE my SAEs. Interesting how they might have got mixed in seeing as how they stand out from the shrimp pretty easily but it does look super tiny. Neat!

4. OP
    OP
    Bry

It does look like that, but he doesn't have a sucker face and I've never seen him try to eat algae.

His belly is also black and he's about an inch, or slightly bigger. Yea! We didn't see him in the bag until it was knotted and done. So the guy shrugged and said take him

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
  5. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Probably a US native species?

6. sinned4g63

Blanch some zucchini or a spinach leaf real quick and see if he goes for a nibble haha. I believe flying foxes can be darker in color on the body but I don't know about the belly.. but my SAE are whiteish silver on the belly so maybe not?

7. OP
    OP
    Bry

He will go for a nibble at the shrimp pellets I feed the shrimp from time to time. And usually he stays in the top half of the tank but he seems really interested in the moss ball I recently added.

8. Hondacivic

HondacivicWell Known MemberMember

Can you try to get a better picture?

9. OP
    OP
    Bry

If he is a flying fox, should I get him friends? Or is he more of a loner?

10. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I honestly can't tell by the picture, but I think a Flying Fox or Siamese Algae Eater are good guesses.
    The mentioned species don't have sucker mouths. They're not even catfish, but cyprinids. They're pretty great at eating hair algae.
    The two pics below are Siamese Algae Eaters. If you look closely, you'll notice a pair of small barbels, similar to koi. But yours has a black belly? Honestly, we'd need a better pic from you in order to identify properly.
    IMG_0943.JPGIMG_0467.jpg

11. Coptapia

It’s definitely not a Flying Fox or an SAE.

There’s a few Notropsis spp that look similar. Could also be a juvenile of a large species...

12. OP
    OP
    Bry

I'll try. It's hard because he's so active.

I really can't get a better picture of him. He keeps hiding in the darker spots in the tank. I think he knows I'm watching him lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
  13. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

could he be a pencilfish (nannostromis)?

14. Coptapia

Nannostomus? No.

15. sinned4g63

Just curious why you would disagree on the flying fox or SAE?

16. Coptapia

Because it looks nothing like them. Wrong head shape, wrong ‘texture’ to the scales, the black line is all wrong especially in the peduncle, the fins are wrong...
    Fish that come in with feeders (in the US) are usually natives. This fish bears no resemblance to any tropical fish I’m aware of, so I’m 90+% sure it’s an American fish.

17. scarface

I wouldn't be confident enough to say for certain simply because it came from a feeder tank. The pics aren't the best either. It might be a species of shiner as you say. I'm curious to know for sure. What's really throwing me off, though, is the OP saying its belly is black.

18. Coptapia

I’m not making assumptions because it came in with feeders. I’m confident enough to know for a fact that it isn’t an SAE or a Flying Fox. It’s not an opinion. It comes from nearly 50 years of fishkeeping and studying fish.

19. scarface

I also don't think it's either of them. Not sure if the OP saw my pics, but I think it would help to confirm or deny, so we could at least move on. But I'm not sure it's necessarily North American though.

20. Coptapia

I am just assuming it’s American, which could be wrong. But if anyone knows anyone on the forum who goes fishing that might help, if only to eliminate some spp.
    My best guess (and it’s only a guess, I’m not good on US fish) is a young Nocomis sp.

I wonder if @chromedome52 is lurking...