Got new algea eating fish today!

BlueGlofish

Hiiii, I've recently been having some serious algae problems in my small 10 gal tank, so today at the pet store I bought a new algae eating fish called a Otocinclus. I named him Oto. He isn't bothering my fish, he's eating my algae, and it's so fun to watch him swiming around and eating. I strongly recommend for small tanks with brown algae problems.

BigManAquatics

A tank that size i would rather figure out why on the algae or put a nerite snail in. Long term, both are better options.

TClare

Otos are nice little fish, but do better in groups in a bigger, planted tank. I fear the 10g tank will be too small to provide constant food for him. They are not always easy to feed when the algae runs out. I agree snails would be a better option. If you have brown algae it may be because the tank is newly set up (is it?) and will go away on its own. Or you can help by reducing the hours of light and having plenty of live plants.

BlueGlofish

The people at the pet store said that the Otos would be a better option than snails. And also, I have lots of brown algea for them to eat so it'll be fine.

TClare

If you have just one maybe it will be OK. They do have a reputation of being very delicate though. Mine do fine with no additional feeding, but they are in much bigger tanks. Make sure you keep up with water changes and keep nitrates low.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goldfishlover22
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hcthomas
Replies
Views
11mac11
Replies