Got new 20g and 30g...what to do?

1. RonDutt Member Member

So I picked up a 20g and 30g tank along with 7 boxes/buckets full of aquarium stuff :D Sooo...what should I do? I currently have a pretty big community tropical tank so looking for something else. I've been thinking of a invert tank but finding any kind of inverts locally is hard (I think the LFS has ghost shrimp...thats about it). I don't want to risk ordering online not to mention there aren't a lot of "beginner" inverts out there... I've been thinking of a cichlid tank but hows the maintenance/upkeep on it compared to a tropical? I know its freshwater but with a higher pH, does it also need salt? What about other parts of a SW tank (skimmer, wave, etc)?

I'm open to ANY ideas so have at it :D

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats!!!!!!!!!!! MTS kicked in good for you LOL

you can use the 30g for a pair of angels ...with some nice bottom dwellers of either a bn pleco or a nice school of cories?
    or you can go with some gbr's convicts, firemouths, etc..the list is endless ...maintenance on cichlid tanks are about the same with proper filtration, not overstocking, and proper diet....they arent much different than my guppy tank...no salt for any of my cichlids...it just makes them overproduce slime coat and is more of an old school way...

never had a invert tank but im sure other members can help with that:)

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Either of those tanks would be way cool for Tanganyikan shell dwelling cichlids! :D

I have a colony in a 75 gallon Tanganyikan tank and they are fascinating. Here's a link to my thread if you'd like to see what they look like:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/.../59038-tanganyika-cichlids-photo-journal.html

There are many different species of shell dwellers. If you Google some images of shell dwellers you may find some that you like. :)

African Rift Lake cichlids like hard, alkaline water, but don't require salt or extra equipment. My thread lists the equipment that I use on my 75, and as you can see it's pretty standard stuff. The only difference is that I do 25% water changes on that tank as opposed to the 50% I do on all the other FW tanks, because the substrate and rock I have in there help me to alter the pH and I don't want to "shock" the fish with the lower pH of my tap water compared to what is in the tank.

On another note, if you aren't opposed to the shipping cost and picking up your fish at a nearby airport, I can recommend an Aquabid seller to you for shell dwellers. This guy sent my husband and I our shell dwellers as well as some cyprichromis, and all of the fish were eating 10 minutes after we let them out of the bag. It was amazing- this seller is really top-notch. :)

4. RonDutt Member Member

I'd love to get a cichlid tank :D They're the most "social" fish I have known...I can't even go to the LFS without all the cichlids following me around...it's sooo awesome! Right now everything is still in my car (all somehow fitting together like a puzzle to actually *fit* in my car), when I get home I'll see what all I was able to snag (everything ran me $50...a guy had a pallet of stuff on his driveway that he just wanted gone, lucky me!).

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

In a 20 or 30 gallon, you are pretty much limited to Tanganyikan shell dwellers as far as Rift Lake cichlids. Kribensis are African riverine cichlids, and would also do well in either of your tanks (not with Tanganyikans though). If you like Central or South American cichlids, Shawnie has you covered on good stocking advice. The only thing I would add to her list would be Bolivian rams (they are easier to keep than blue rams and also do well in a community tank) or apistogramma (there are many species, I'm sure you could find one you like, also great in community tanks).