Got my new sunsun filter.....don't know what to think

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got the filter in the mail yesterday. I opened the box today to find no packaging - inside the shipping box was all the pieces. All of the bags (bioballs, ceramics, carbon, inake tubes, spraybar tubes) are opened and taped shut. I open the top to find a film of grease on the top inside rim of the holding chamber as well as around the top piece. I can smell the grease. Lastly, there are scratches and scuff marks on it.

I bought an item listed as new and feel as though it is not new. I've already contacted the seller.

Has anyone opened their new canister filter and found grease like that?

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yeah! i bought a sunsun canister, only the only media i got were coarse pads... and the grease is silicone lube(i think)i wiped off the excess and left the rest on, without the lube the o-ring is really hard to get to make correct seal, trust me... but i guess if you wanted you could clean all of it off and get new silicone lube, and only put a little on.

mine came in a box, then big bubble wrap, then the products box, the filter was in foam, parts were in a little box next to it each sealed in bags, same with tubes.. but no bioballs .. anywho, the only thing i found bad about the filter, was the INSIDE.. the pastic was a LITTLE bulgy(maybe just bad paint?) but the bottom tray was hard to get out. other then that, and some of the pluming pipes being cheap(IMO) it works great and noise is minimal, and i like the easy access to the impeller.

EDIT: are you sure the bags weren't just made to be put in and taped? are do they look ripped :/

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the jelly stuff is harmless to the fish, inverts, or plants. Replace it with petroleum jelly when is all gone.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. So far so good....I REALLY like the surface skimmer.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I told ya it was a great filter. The only down thing is the spraybar that goes to far inside the water line.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The spraybar is terrible. I put a generic duckbill on it and used the spraybars in the 30 hex. I have like 3 connected so that it reaches to the bottom on the 30, though I think I'm going to plug every other hole.

I'm searching for replacement intakes though, so I can put them on all of my canisters.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Where did you buy it and what model?

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
navyscuba said:
Get them on Ebay.
Curious if thats the place he got it and if so from which buyer. I know that one guy sells them but so do a few others.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do know that Jaysee got it on ebay, and that he likes it. I'm not sure which seller.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
there are only a few people that sell them on ebay(but it did start out as only one person.. oh and they are basically marineland filters... but japanese.. i heard that sun sun makes parts for marineland... they look the same too)

they all offer the same thing, dif prices.. some offer more/dif media than others though.

and if you check my ebay, you can view the item you won/payed for(and watching )
if you didn't delete, if there was any question as to which seller it was gotten from

i think my seller was #1 (i went from price up)

EDIT: they seem to have changed boxes since i got mine... just curios can i see the box yours was in?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine came in a shipping box - no packaging. The guy said they've changed packaging to a flimsy white box, but I don't see how that means it doesn't get shipped in it....

Good filter though. Proaquarium was my seller.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning JaySee,

I've moved your thread to the Filters/Filtration section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
flimsy white box... and what did you get?

a flimsy BROWN box?
(i chuckled hehehe... i think im too tired)
EDIT: EEE its Ken! 'The Feared Thread Mover'!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was very disappointed with the packaging and would not buy a filter from that seller again. Everything came in the shipping box - the filter itself was in a THIN bubblewrap bag....that's it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads