Got my Moonlights today!

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went to the LFS last week and found the moon lights I wanted. At the LFS they were about 40.00 a piece!! So I did some looking and got 2 of them including shipping for less than 40.00!!

Well today they showed up! It is amazing how bright 3/4 of a watt is!! I have to wait until tonight to see how well they work. I have only installed one to see how it works. If one is enough I will probably be installing the other one in another tank I have or selling it.

Anyway I am just excited and wanted to share.. ;D

P.S. tried the Christmas light thing and the rope light thing already... Doing the LED moonlight thing for comparison and will let you know.. ;D

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
  After the question the other day about LED lights I have been keeping my eye out for colored LED lights, and came across some today, but they cannot be used in water, but are to be installed in the hood.     There are the colored ones, and something else called moon tubes on a moonphase timer that also looks interesting. 

I am going to look into these with my new tank. 

Fish in the Frozen North  8)

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have them installed.. They are the blue ones and I have one in each end of the hood. So far it is working great... The fish like it, it's not to bright, and at night while I am trying to fall asleep it's nice to watch them swim without having that crazy bright hood light on..

So far I like it!!

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
which tank do you have it on gargoyle?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I installed them in my 29 gallon tank... Basically drilled 2 holes on each end of my hood since the light did not fill the space and installed them in the hood. Works really good and when the lights are off in the room and your eyes adjust a bit you can see most of what is going on in the tank.. They really never stop.. LOL!!

I posted a video on youtube of my tank with the lights on. In the middle of the vid I turn on the camera light so you can see a bit better.. Anyway here is the link to the video -

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks like your fish love it. I also have a 29 gallon tank would you recommand getting 2 moonlights for the tank or just one?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on your hood set up.. The LED's are not water resistant by any means so they must be protected from the water. If you have an all glass deluxe hood like I do and the light bulb does not use the entire canopy area like mine then I would say 2 3/4 watt LED's would be perfect. They light the outer sections of the tank and the center is very low light with this set up and the fish seem to like it that way.

The plastic is easy to drill with a hole saw bit or even a paddle bit if you take your time. The light I bought also had little mounting tabs molded into them which made attaching them very simple. If you like I could snap a few pics of what mine looks like if you think that would help you any.

EDIT: These are the light I purchased on e-bay for a great deal --->

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have the same setup as ur tank with the glass hood and everything if is not a big problem would their be anyway you could take a pic thanks a bunch.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sure the first pic is the top view of the light mounted in the canopy. You can see the tab and the way I have it rotated so the cord flows nicely. The cord on these are very small and feel delicate so care should be taken with them.

The second pic is what the light looks at from the inside of the canopy. As you can see if you make the hole as close to the same size as the LED as possible is actually looks pretty nice.

The third pic is where I took the extra care to attach the LED cords to the main hood cord to keep them from falling in the water and to reduce the stress of the cord hanging from the LED. Like I said earlier the cords are very thin and feel fragile.

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
that is awsome looks great just called my lfs and they had some in stock bought some and going to install it today. The guy i spoke with at lfs also said they are the best ones on market right now he said the ones that you link togeather are not very good and people been having problems with them. Thanks for the pic like i said looks good. hopefully my fish will like them to

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sweet!! Ya gonna post some pics up so we can see.. ;D

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
i tried posting my pics and it says the file is two big is their a program i have to download to post pics?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nah you just need to resize the images to make them smaller... Your PC should have some sort of program on it that will allow you to do this. Normally if you resize to 640 wide by 480 tall the image will be an acceptable size.

whetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
ive wanted some moonlights for a while, but simply do not have the resources or tools to get some. So while in walmart the other day i passed by a package of three of those little stick-on LED lights that you stick onto a wall or any surface, and then press the front of them and the light turns on. the package was about ten bucks i think. anyway, one of my tanks is next to a wall, so i cut a small hole into the top of the background i have on the side of the tank and stuck the LED light onto the wall near the hole. every night i just unplug the tank lamp and press the light, and the LED creates a moonlit effect in the tank. For my other tank, I took a strip of duct tape and hung one of the lights against the top of the glass, with the same effect. I'll take some pictures and post them either tonight or soon, i just thought i'd share my small "stroke of genius" with those who may not be able to afford the more sophisticated LEDs.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pics!! ;D

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry my computer is being stupid i will try to get them up asap Pretty cool the led at awsome look to take just have to save up little more money and i will get one for the other side of tank.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting, sorry if I missed it, what did you use to cut your hood?

The marina one's are really nice too, jus tmore expensive.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine said:
Interesting, sorry if I missed it, what did you use to cut your hood?

The marina one's are really nice too, jus tmore expensive.
I used a paddle bit --- SLOWLY.. ;D I think a hole saw would be better though.

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
that is what i used on my hood to it was tough to do because u had to hold it down from moving and the smell of plastic as you are drilling eewwww very stinky.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom