Got my first bamboo shrimp today. Any tips?

wtusa1783

Just picked my first bamboo shrimp up today. I drip acclimated for a little over an hour. It’s a 29 gallon heavily planted tank. Any tips or tricks to help keep him happy and healthy? Here is what he looks like: A41888A7-1E9B-4B4E-8D41-534454E64EE5.jpeg

The_fishy

Make sure you feed him powdered foods! If you see him scavenging the substrate for food, he isn’t getting enough.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

Make sure you feed him powdered foods! If you see him scavenging the substrate for food, he isn’t getting enough.
Ok I’ve read that. What foods exactly? I’ve heard people saying they crushed up an algae wafer and put it on the filter output.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

Ok I’ve read that. What foods exactly? I’ve heard people saying they crushed up an algae wafer and put it on the filter output.
Anything from crushed up algae wafers to spirulina powder, crushed flakes, baby brine shrimp, or microworms. Basically, anything small enough to be considered a powder of sorts.

Upvote 0

wtusa1783

Anything from crushed up algae wafers to spirulina powder, crushed flakes, baby brine shrimp, microworms.
Thanks! So if I see him on the substrate looking for food I know he is not getting fed enough? How often should I directly try to feed him?

Upvote 0

The_fishy

Thanks! So if I see him on the substrate looking for food I know he is not getting fed enough? How often should I directly try to feed him?
Pretty much if you see him picking through the substrate with the fans instead of fanning. Probably feed every other day or so by sprinkling food either where the filter flow enters the tank or by target feeding with a turkey baster. I think Hikari First Bites and Bacter AE would also work.

Oh, also, be careful not to introduce any copper (such as what is in some meds or ferts) because this will be toxic.

Upvote 0

goldface

Oh, also, be careful not to introduce any copper (such as what is in some meds or ferts) because this will be toxic.
Meds no, but ferts and food are fine.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom