Got my first 10 gallon tropical tank. Need Help for lighting.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by striker, Mar 25, 2010.

1. striker

striker Valued Member Member

Well on 3/22/2010 I found a fish tank (10 gallons) and i brought it home. I gave it a good scrubbing to clean it because it had scum and dirt and dead dried goldfish in it. (Felt bad about them :( ). It came with a Radiant water heater and a aqua clear old mini. I went to go buy some fish and i bought tropical fish for the first time. I got 2 guppies and 2 white skirt tetras. (Unfortunally I didn't know that they were dyed by some paint).
    It's been kind of good but i already lost a guppy. I think it was because i didn't cycle my tank and the pet shop didn't tell me anything even though I told them that I was putting them in a tank that i cleaned like new. I also bought a light fixture and some gravel (10lbs) and a decoration and a carbon filter. I used the same sponge that the aqua clear mini had (it just needed to be washed clean since it had dirt.
    Everything seems to work fine.
    I have been doing some heavy researching and found out that you need to cycle your tank. Hopefully my fish make it. (except that I already lost a guppy).
    I also did some research for the lighting and found out that fluorescent lighting is better than the incandescent lighting I have. In about a month or so I plan to add some live easy to grow plants to help out the nitrate levels.
    So this is what I plan to do since I'm a student and I have little money and trying to save for college. I would like to change my bulbs that I already have (Incandescent) to some household Fluorescent bulbs to help out the plants when I get them.
    But will the household fluorescent light bulbs get damaged since my air stone gets some little sparkles on the bulb of the ones I have installed right now. (The ones have are marina aquarium incandescent light bulbs 15 watts.)?
    Here are some pictures that might help you understand the light fixture:

If you need anymore pictures I will be glad to post the link.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

There are two types of skirted tetras. White Skirt and Black Skirt If your White Skirt tetra's are just white, they haven't been dyed. It when they are any color other than black or white that they have been dyed.

It's very important to understand the nitrogen cycle. I highly recommend that you read up on it. It is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

If it doesn't hurt the incandesent bulbs, I wouldn't think it would hurt the compact flouresent bulbs any.

3. lil0618

lil0618 Valued Member Member

yep nitrogen cycle is a must to know some really good fish to start with are danios and sarpea tetras i started with those and only 1 died:;scuba

4. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

yes like what everyone said and I think platy are good starter fish too.. all mine have survive and had babies too

5. A

AngelFishLuv1 New Member Member

I hope all your fishie's make it. your lighting is just fine for a little 10 gallon. most hoods that you can buy have lighting in them if you want to change it. its good to have a hood for your tank that fits properly, avoid any fishie suicides. a really good beginner filter is a Tetra Whisper. These come with everything you need. and the bio cartridge is especially important in maintaining healthy bacteria in your tank, while changing the disposable carbon cartridge, will maintain tank clarity and so on. DO NOT put plants in your tank right now, they will only die. gravel and substrate, fertilizer must be in place and you usually want to do that when your setting your tank up. trying to do this now will result in loosing your fish. Really do your research! Don't be to anxious, you'll end up spending a lot of time and money on things you dont need that'll turn out badly anyways. Ease into it. Buy some nutrafin bio cycle, treat your tank and do not add anymore fish. You'll want to have a couple of test kits on hand also to test for pH, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. make sure these are all in check before adding anymore fish. If you have problems with any of the those levels, do a small 10% water change and treat with AmQuel Plus, its a really good product i've been using for years and use simple pH up or down drops. You can buy test kits that have them in it. GOOD LUCK!

6. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Since your fish are already in the tank the next step is to keep them alive.Change 2 to 3 gallons of water every other day for about 2 weeks to 3 weeks.I Know you are on a budget but pick up a bottle of prime by seachem(sold at most petsmarts)Use this to treat the tap water before you put your water in the tank.I would pick up a cheap hood with a flourescent tube. I would not let water get on your medium base flourescent houshold bulbs!!Water and electricity do not mix!!I would pick up some live plants like anacharis they will be fine,they are very inexpensive and will help your tank cycle.Get your self a cheap air pump and run an airstone.The anacharis should do fine under household flourescent.Even with your tight budgets try to get the api master test kit it will run you around 30.00.I am not an expert but these recommendations are my expierience.

7. OP
    OP
    striker

Thanks for the recommendations. The fish are still alive and i have been changing about 1 gallon of water every three days. I'm going to pick up some 6500k daylight cfl lights and i might move my air stone from its place so the little water droplets won't wet the cfl lights.
    I might also look into trying to find a cheap hood for my tank.

8. OP
    OP
    striker

I finally got the daylight 14 watts each spiral CFL light bulbs from the home depot. The box says that they are rated 5000K 850 lumens.
    I also bought some Aponogeton bulbs from Walmart. (only close store where I can get some live plants at least in bulbs.)
    They all floated down except for one bulb and it is growing some slime kind of coat. The rest are not and have fully submerged. The good thing is that the box says that I can return the bulbs to the manufacturer if they don't grow. (Sea-Life)

9. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Is there any kind of glass or plexi-glass between your light fixture and the water? If not, you may want to look into getting a glass cover. It will keep your fish in and water out of your light fixture.

10. OP
    OP
    striker

where can I purchase this plexi glass? Right now I'm using plastic wrap from my kitchen to keep the water from getting onto the bulbs.

11. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I just did a search on Google for, "10 Gallon aquarium cover glass." and here is one of the hits I got:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10950/product.web

I would imagine that you can get one at one of the chain pet stores as well. I have a hexagon tank so I bought some plexi-glass and blade for my circular saw that cuts plastic, but it was a pain in the neck and it came out kind of rough; it's functional, but not pretty. After my experience, I would say buy the pre-cut if you can find it.

12. OP
    OP
    striker

thanks for the info on the aquarium cover glass. I made a custom one from a piece of plastic of some sort of plexi glass. I didn't know with what to cut out the measurements but then I got a regular kitchen knife and had it on my stove until the knife turn hot red and then I just sliced out the piece for my tank.
    I'm going to have this until I get some money for a hood. I'm saving up for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice