Got My Eheim Canister Filter!

THRESHER
Scored a deal on a supposedly "used" Eheim Pro 4+ 250 canister filter from ebay for $46. Ad stated "it runs but manifold release lever is broken and one of the hold down tabs is cracked" So I said to myself "it runs" so anything cosmetic can be fixed with a little ingenuity and JB Weld.

Today I receive it and like a little kid I rip the box open to see my prize. It's just as the listing showed. So I get into the filter and it has everything new and unused! All the accessories including the media! I get my trays ready with my selected media, put it all together, fill it so it helps with the priming, plug it in to test..but I hear a little rattle and no water movement. Take it back apart and check the impeller..looks good to me. I check the manual and it shows a little yellow "sleeve" tube between the impeller and lock tab which is missing.

I'm like " ok, I can engineer something" so I look all over all my junk drawers, boxes and find a donor; A plastic syringe you give your dog or cat medicine with. Has the perfect "nipple" of sorts. So with my trusty exacto knife I start my amputation. Size it up and onto the ceramic shaft it slid. Check and recheck my measurements to the millimeter..perfect!

Assemble my filter, hook up my lines and now for the moment of truth....success!! This badboy is working like a new heart!

The lock down lever is really no big deal. I can order a new manifold from ebay for 20bux shipped. I can still remove the lines and reconnect them with very little effort. Still tho, got a great canister filter for less than 50 bux, 20min of surgery to create a missing part and it's going strong! The flow on it is incredible! Woohoo, win win!

EHIEM2.jpg
IMG_20180907_175018.jpg

Dawn Michele
Yay Neb!!! IM happy for you!!!!

THRESHER
Yay Neb!!! IM happy for you!!!!

Thanks Dawn! I was really surpised I was expecting a used filter all smelly and dirty, but this thing was practically brand new! It looked like the previous owner didn't know how to release the manifold and broke the tab off. Then trying to lock down the top forced one of the tabs and cracked it, so they sent it back for a refund/replacement. It even smelled new!

It's been running for a few hours and no leaks and no noise.

Dawn Michele
You find some GREAT deals!!!I Hope it continues to work well for you!!!

AquaMan3640
What a steal

DoubleDutch
Eheim parts are quite available I'd say.
I love Eheim.

Thunder_o_b
Well done

jmaldo
Score!
Eheims

THRESHER
Thanks folks! I might splurge on another Eheim to replace the Sunsun. Tho the Sunsun is running fine, it's a bit too noisy for my liking even with the impeller swap

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies