Got my African Butterfly Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by RackinRocky, Jul 14, 2015.

1. RackinRockyValued MemberMember

Here he/she is. Four inches long! I wasn't expecting a full grown one! I think it's beautiful. It's hanging at the top, which I hear is normal. Wouldn't eat freeze dried crickets. I floated some pellets and flakes, but didn't see it eating anything. Guess I'll have to pick up a few live crickets tomorrow. Attached is a pic. Oh, it's in a 55 gallon community tank.

African Butterfly fish.jpg

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Very cool!

3. pritam

pritamValued MemberMember

NICE...like to see few other pics with different angles.

4. Livielupop

LivielupopValued MemberMember

Ooh I love these! Your's is very pretty:) I remember having a conversation with someone once about fish and they had one of these growing up and completely loved them. They said they were gorgeous and fun to look at:D I looked them up during the conversation and the person pointed them out and I instantly thought they were amazing but I didn't know where to find such a fish:) it's so cool that you have one!:D where'd you get it?

5. OP
    OP
    R

RackinRockyValued MemberMember

Thank you--I got it at Bob's Tropical Plants and Fish. It was shipped to me overnight. I like that he's located in California, so I always get his shipments the next day. I will try to get better pics. Most of them came out blurry yesterday. Maybe, when I do, someone can tell me it's sex.

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Nice!
    Mine loves freeze dried krill.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Livielupop

Awesome and you need a pic focused on the anal fin cause the difference is there: male have an extended piece to their fin and it's longer than females which is just a normal anal fin

8. OP
    OP
    R

I just got a better pic of him. This is all I have for now. From research, looks like it might be female (?)

African Butterfly fishy.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Livielupop

It looks like a male to me:) the extended piece is like separate from the fin in a way

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    R

Okay, I see what you mean. The anal fin has a longer part in front and is skinnier than a female's. I can see it now. For a while it had me confused. This pic shows it better.

016.JPG

11. Livielupop

Yeah when I was trying to figure it out at first it confused me too but eventually you get it:;banana1

12. pritam

pritamValued MemberMember

13. OP
    OP
    R

Thank you--now if I can just get him to eat!

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm I think I've been there while going to random LFS's in the area, can't remember his stock though. After going to about 20 stores in town, you'd probably forget too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice