Help Got My 1st Test Kit

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
Any help or tips would be great at store still help on using and any tips?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
BettaMom98 said:
Dont get the test strips, invest in an actual liquid testing master kit. I use the API freshwater master kit.
What I grabbed so much better!

Do I rinse out the tubes in tap water after use?
 

NC122606

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,037
Reaction score
1,783
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
Just started
Frankieflowaz said:
What I grabbed so much better!
I also grabbed one of those but haven’t used it yet since I got to wait for my sand to settle in my aquarium and stuff. Hopefully it’s good and works out for you!
 

BettaMom98

Active Member
Member
Messages
91
Reaction score
49
Experience
3 years
Frankieflowaz said:
Do I rinse out the tubes in tap water after use?
Yes, always make sure to rinse out the test tubes/ caps with water afterwards, let air dry, then store. Always make sure you follow the directions to the T, otherwise you may not get an accurate reading.
 

Bama

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
31
Location
Columbus. Ohio
Experience
5 years
Here's a tip if using the API kit: When you're ready to test the nitrate, really shake and bang the heck out of the second bottle. I showed 0 nitrates until I read this tip. I did the test again after really shaking it (instructions say shake for 30 seconds) and then got 10-20!

Hope this helps!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
First test kit results I think I'm doing a good job been along time tho I waited 5 mins for all the tests after I finished the last 1 (nitrate) I did every test besides the high ph one I got the tank 4weeks ago and fish with used media 3 weeks ago been doing water changes every 3 or 4 days any idea when I can do one a weekly?
15549116891932004298385.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
Should I do high ph test? Its looking closer to 7.2 not 7.6 in my eyes

Islandvic Feohw update for you guys

Was gonna do a waterchange 40% today is there a need to?
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,849
Reaction score
4,149
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
It would be better to read if you place the vial against the white part of the chart beside the color blocks and compare. In as natural lighting as possible and the vial 'lit up', so chart behind the light.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
angelcraze said:
It would be better to read if you place the vial against the white part of the chart beside the color blocks and compare. In as natural lighting as possible and the vial 'lit up', so chart behind the light.
Gotcha was tryna get a view for you guys they kept rolling off the book Q.Q but it read .PH 7.2ish AMMONIA 0 -0.25 not sure more 0 to me NITRITE is 0 and my NITRATE looks 5-10ppm
 

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,095
Reaction score
5,246
Location
Ireland
Experience
2 years
Frankieflowaz said:
Islandvic Feohw update for you guys
Nice, you got it. Looking good from what I can see, it would be easier against white as said above. If you think it could be 7.6, I'd do the high test too. Better to be sure than not. The ph tests don't take as long as the others anyway.
Frankieflowaz said:
Was gonna do a waterchange 40% today is there a need to?
When did you do one last?
 

BettaMom98

Active Member
Member
Messages
91
Reaction score
49
Experience
3 years
I always test for high and low ph in all my tanks so I can get the most accurate read possible. You’re readings look good.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,849
Reaction score
4,149
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
Frankieflowaz said:
Gotcha was tryna get a view for you guys they kept rolling off the book Q.Q but it read .PH 7.2ish AMMONIA 0 -0.25 not sure more 0 to me NITRITE is 0 and my NITRATE looks 5-10ppm
Ok or place a white paper behind the vials with 5000-6500k (natural white) light to light up the test solution.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
Feohw said:
Nice, you got it. Looking good from what I can see, it would be easier against white as said above. If you think it could be 7.6, I'd do the high test too. Better to be sure than not. The ph tests don't take as long as the others anyway.

When did you do one last?
Thanks ill do a ph test later after I do this waterchange I been sick n to er this week so I forget when I did it last I think 3 or 4 days but since I gotta guess myself ima go ahead n do it
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,849
Reaction score
4,149
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
Frankieflowaz said:
Thanks ill do a ph test later after I do this waterchange I been sick n to er this week so I forget when I did it last I think 3 or 4 days but since I gotta guess myself ima go ahead n do it
Honestly doesn't hurt to change the water. In most of my tanks I register 0-3ppm nitrAte at all times, I still do a 50% weekly change and my cichlids love me for it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Active Member
Member
Messages
269
Reaction score
54
angelcraze said:
Honestly doesn't hurt to change the water. In most of my tanks I register 0-3ppm nitrAte at all times, I still do a 50% weekly change and my cichlids love me for it.
Thx ima do a 20% instead my usual 40
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
233
Guests online
3,037
Total visitors
3,270

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom