Got My 1st Test Kit Help

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by Frankieflowaz, Apr 10, 2019.

1. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Any help or tips would be great at store still help on using and any tips?

2. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Dont get the test strips, invest in an actual liquid testing master kit. I use the API freshwater master kit.

3. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

What i grabbed :) so much better!

Do i rinse out the tubes in tap water after use?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  4. NC122606Valued MemberMember

I also grabbed one of those but haven’t used it yet since I got to wait for my sand to settle in my aquarium and stuff. Hopefully it’s good and works out for you!

5. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Yes, always make sure to rinse out the test tubes/ caps with water afterwards, let air dry, then store. Always make sure you follow the directions to the T, otherwise you may not get an accurate reading.

6. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Yes, that's fine.

7. BamaValued MemberMember

Here's a tip if using the API kit: When you're ready to test the nitrate, really shake and bang the heck out of the second bottle. I showed 0 nitrates until I read this tip. I did the test again after really shaking it (instructions say shake for 30 seconds) and then got 10-20!

Hope this helps!

8. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

First test kit results i think im doing a good job been along time tho i waited 5 mins for all the tests after i finished the last 1 (nitrate) i did every test besides the high ph one I got the tank 4weeks ago and fish with used media 3 weeks ago been doing water changes every 3 or 4 days any idea when i can do one a weekly? 15549116891932004298385.jpg

9. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Looks good!

10. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Should i do high ph test? Its looking closer to 7.2 not 7.6 in my eyes

@Islandvic @Feohw update for you guys

Was gonna do a waterchange 40% today is there a need to?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  11. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

It would be better to read if you place the vial against the white part of the chart beside the color blocks and compare. In as natural lighting as possible and the vial 'lit up', so chart behind the light.

12. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Gotcha was tryna get a view for you guys they kept rolling off the book :( Q.Q but it read .PH 7.2ish AMMONIA 0 -0.25 not sure more 0 to me NITRITE is 0 and my NITRATE looks 5-10ppm

13. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Nice, you got it. Looking good from what I can see, it would be easier against white as said above. If you think it could be 7.6, I'd do the high test too. Better to be sure than not. The ph tests don't take as long as the others anyway.
    When did you do one last?

14. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

I always test for high and low ph in all my tanks so I can get the most accurate read possible. You’re readings look good.

15. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ok or place a white paper behind the vials with 5000-6500k (natural white) light to light up the test solution.

16. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Thanks ill do a ph test later after i do this waterchange I been sick n to er this week so I forget when I did it last I think 3 or 4 days but since i gotta guess myself ima go ahead n do it

17. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Honestly doesn't hurt to change the water. In most of my tanks I register 0-3ppm nitrAte at all times, I still do a 50% weekly change and my cichlids love me for it.

18. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Thx ima do a 20% instead my usual 40

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019