Got Cherry Shimp a couple days ago

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just got some cherry shrimp from aqua bid... I'm keeping them in a ten gallon along with some guppy/endler mixs. I was wondering if the guppy/endler would eat the baby cherry shrimp or not? also I've noticed them trying to climb into my filter how do I stop them from doing this? Also will they still breed with the fish in the tank? and what special things should I do for the cherry shrimp... like do I need to do something to add calcium to the water or no? What kind of things should I feed them other than flake food and algae wafers? Also if I put a divider between the fish and the shrimp with the filter on the side with the shrimp would the side with the shrimp still be filtered because all the dividers I've seen for sale have really tiny holes that don't look like anything can get through let alone have the filter clean the water on that side?

little miss

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI Cantra.

most fish will eat baby cherry shrimp unfortunatly, baby shrimp are tiny enough to fit in small mouths.
if your filter is a sponge one they should be fine - what filter are you using?

Cherry shrimp will still breed with fish in the tank providing the water quality is maintained. they BREED and BREED!....

you don't really need to add anything to the water, what is your ph?

they actually need very little food.. algae wafers, sinking pellets, mine even have a nibble at the cucumber I place in for my apple snails..

rather than a divider try and provide them with cover. A clump of Java moss always makes a good hiding place for eggs, fry and baby shrimp.

some of them will probably survive unless your tank is very heavily stocked with hungry fish.

The females will sit up close to the filter outlet when the eggs hatch to disperse the young shrimps which hatch fully formed. They are small enough for the fish to eat but they usually hatch at night and will be well dispersed through the tank and into cover by morning. Just keep your eyes open for tiny shrimps!

hope this helps...

Cantra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
To tell you the truth I'm not sure what kind of filter it is besides that it's an overhang filter and that its supposed to be for a twenty gallon.

ph is 7.4

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well that's easy to remedy, slip a piece of sponge filter media over the intake tube and Voila! you have a shrimp-friendly filter.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your fish just might surprise you. The rather large fish in my 20 gallon swim right into the RCS and don't pay them any mind. The corya I have temporarily housed in the 5 gallon rummaged right over newborn shrimp and didn't eat them. I have three endlers in a breeder's net with about 15 shrimp, most of them juveniles and no one's been eaten. Provide then with enough cover and they'll be fine.

I don't feed mine anything. They all eat biofilm off the surfaces in the tank, including the fake plants in the 20 gallon.

There's no need to divide the tank.

They should have some calcium, and they can get it from blanched zucchini. You can also add eggs shells in a mesh bag to your filter or hide it in amongst the decorations. Cuttlebones and calcium vitamins can also be used.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads