Got a rock flower anemone

Semiaquatic

Yesterday I got my first anemone! It's a rock flower and it's really cool looking. I've heard that they will usually stay put when they attach somewhere, but are there any special things they need as far as parameters?
Btw I named him "eminemone" haha

Semiaquatic

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1432947064.795258.jpg here's the picture

James Cochran

Sweet. They need good amount of flow and usable light. They usually find this spot for themselves. Measures can be taken to increase likihood of it not relocating such as turning off all flow.

Semiaquatic

So do I need to reduce or increase flow for it?

Semiaquatic

I held him on the rock until he attached and hasn't moved since then. I had never seen an anemone like him before. Very cool looking

James Cochran

Haha sorry my post made no sense unless you knew the acclimation method. They like higher flows but to get them to stay where you place them you turn off the flow for 1-3 days and then they may be acclimated further to conditions such as lighting so when you turn on flow he is well rooted in with his legs and will stay put. Even slowly acclimating flow up again is good if you have high dollar corals you do not want him to stick.

Semiaquatic

Ok cool. I'll keep the powerhead away from him for now

James Cochran

Ok cool. I'll keep the powerhead away from him for now

That will still make him move. It need to be off not repositioned. It's flow that makes them move. If anything the change in flow again only increases likelihood of moving haha.

Semiaquatic

Good to know. I don't want him to move around and start assassinating my corals

vhpinfl

Your nem looks very cool. Be warned that it might change color. It might actually be orange/red and it's just bleached. Mine had lots of pink and is now almost completely orange.

Oh, and all nems need near perfect water and good lighting

Semiaquatic

I have it in the middle of the tank with good flow

Semiaquatic

I feed mysis now, but would like to try silver sides

vhpinfl

I feed shrimp, pieces of whole fish, and scallops. Want to try silver sides

Semiaquatic

I added another light and it makes it much brighter in the tank. My anemone pulled back into a hole in the rock shortly after I turned the light on. Is this bad?

vhpinfl

It should be back to normal on a couple of days. My lights ramp up and down so it never gets light shock (DSuny LED)

Semiaquatic

I built this light and I didn't include a dinner so it's on or off
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436483369.436746.jpg

Dimmer*

vhpinfl

That's pretty cool. What brand LEDs did you use?

Semiaquatic

I have two current usa marine orbits and then I bought some modules from a friend who bought a bunch online. The price was right

Semiaquatic

He's back out now

vhpinfl

Awesome, glad he's doing well

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
Floundering_Around
  • Question