Got a rabbit from Petsmart

bolivianbaby

We brought home Goliath about 3 weeks ago. We bought a puppy pen to keep her in that she figured out how to move. We still use that pen for her supervised playtime.

She has a LOT of energy to burn. I had a brilliant idea of getting two more pens (my daughter used her Geometry skills to calculate the perimeter for me) to set her up a "run" upstairs from one of the bedrooms through the hallway to my daughter's bedroom so she could really let it go. It's portable and very light so we could move it into any area of the house as well.

They no longer sell those pens either online or in the stores. The next best thing they had cost twice as much.

All we need is two 24" high pens that have the eight 18" panels that you can maneuver into different shapes. I paid $40 for this other and it wasn't even on sale. I'm hoping to get the same brand (I don't remember what it's called) so they'll attach to create the run.

Betta Whisperer

I used to breed rabbits. I had one that had the run of the house. You may say "Yuk" but they can be litter trained. To start the training I put a shallow plastic tray down. Then put a little of her droppings in it so she would know what it is for. it worked and she used it. The only problems I found was that they do like to chew on electric cords. Don't ask me why they don't get electricuted. You would have to get the cords up off the floor.

bolivianbaby

I already litter box trained her But I can't give her the run of the house, even supervised. We have too many cords and other dangers, including the dogs. The room she stays in, she shares with two fish tanks (soon to be three), doves, and finches. The reason I use the extra pen for supervised playtime is because her curious tendencies get her in trouble. We spent so much time "shooing" her out of potential dangerous places, we weren't bonding with her. It wasn't relaxing for her or us.

We're still teaching her the word "no" and she's not too happy about it

sirdarksol

Can you get a picture of the panels? Maybe one of the members here will recognize the brand.
Also, it may be worthwhile examining one of carefully to see if you can find a brand stamp or something like that.

Akari_32

have u tried looking on DrsFosterandSmiths.com? they have all kinds of stuff for all kinds of creatures!

bolivianbaby

Can you get a picture of the panels? Maybe one of the members here will recognize the brand.
Also, it may be worthwhile examining one of carefully to see if you can find a brand stamp or something like that.

That's a great idea! Pics are attached. I apologize for the mess, but I haven't cleaned her cage today. I only do it once a day. Shelby was showing her to grandma yesterday and flipped the litterbox AFTER I'd cleaned it. I did check everywhere on it, and there is no stamp or anything.

have u tried looking on DrsFosterandSmiths.com? they have all kinds of stuff for all kinds of creatures!

Not yet, but I probably should once I know the name. I was so frustrated because she really needs to let loose and I was wanting to set this up for her this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!

Attachments

• Goliath X-Pen 1.JPG
    Goliath X-Pen 1.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Goliath X-Pen 2.JPG
    Goliath X-Pen 2.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Goliath X-Pen 3.JPG
    Goliath X-Pen 3.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 202
  • Goliath X-Pen 4.JPG
    Goliath X-Pen 4.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 203

sirdarksol

What dimensions are the individual panels? How do they connect together? I don't think Drs Foster and Smith have them, but I think that I may be able to find some replacements with that info.

bolivianbaby

The dimensions of the panels are 18" long x 24" high. It looks like they're connected with wire hooks that are totally enclosed in a circle. The "end" connects to the "beginning" with "half-hooks", which makes it easy to unconnect it, fold it up, and makes it portable.

I appreciate your help with this, SDS. There are so many rooms in this house that she could totally explore safely if I can make this work and give her room to really stretch her legs. Even getting enough of these for her to run the upstairs would let her hit top speed in her running, keep her safe and she'd LOVE it.

sirdarksol

I can't find anything that looks exactly like it, and nothing as cheap as what you originally got, but I found a few things that are similar.

(looks like the first one, but a bit cheaper).

If you were up for a DIYer, and didn't want to pay as much, you could always buy a roll of 24" welded wire fabric (basically the material that fence is made out of, though a bit less rigid) and make your own panels.

bolivianbaby

Those links were very helpful! I like the price on the last one. If it's "linkable" to the one I have, I can make it work. If she didn't like to move things, I wouldn't have to worry about linking.

I couldn't get the prices to pull up on the first link, but the prices on the last link are definitely doable.

Thank you so much!!!

sirdarksol

No problem. And if linking them together is an issue, I bet I can figure out a way to make that work. My wife makes jewelry, and has some experience connecting pieces of wire together. This would be working in a heavier gauge, but it's the same kind of deal.

bolivianbaby

You're the best I know I'm an absolute dork when it comes to all of my animals and I'm always trying to find ways to help them get what they need without jeopardizing their safety.

Thank you so much for your help!

Akari_32

You're the best I know I'm an absolute dork when it comes to all of my animals and I'm always trying to find ways to help them get what they need without jeopardizing their safety.

Thank you so much for your help!

have u tried looking around thrift stores like Goodwill? I find all kinds of great things there. once I found a $60 dog crate for $2! I didnt have a gate, but it would have been good for one of my mutt-puppies to sleep in lol

bolivianbaby

have u tried looking around thrift stores like Goodwill? I find all kinds of great things there. once I found a $60 dog crate for $2! I didnt have a gate, but it would have been good for one of my mutt-puppies to sleep in lol

No, I haven't thought about doing that. Thanks for the great idea

Akari_32

No, I haven't thought about doing that. Thanks for the great idea

no problem! I love Goodwill. we shop there all the time >.< hurray for being poor! lol

bolivianbaby

no problem! I love Goodwill. we shop there all the time >.< hurray for being poor! lol

Right there with ya! Let's not forget the dollar stretching that occurs because of consignment stores, too. They've saved us a time or two.

Akari_32

Right there with ya! Let's not forget the dollar stretching that occurs because of consignment stores, too. They've saved us a time or two.

WHOO!

bolivianbaby

UPDATE: It was a fairly slow day at work today. It's the calm before the storm. Things are about to blow wide open work-wise.

Anyways, after getting caught up on Fishlore (big surprise-I dock serious time here), I fiddled around on walmart. I found a similar x-pen for $25. I ordered two of them. Even if they don't attach, I have those plastic cord thingies and I can attach them that way.

Within two weeks, Goliath will be able to run the ENTIRE upstairs hallway, part of Shelby's room, and the 3rd bedroom. It will be supervised only, but she'll be able to burn some serious energy every night and it'll be easy to fold back up when she's done so us poor pitiful humans don't tumble down the stairs trying to step over the fence.

I fully plan on getting this on video. I'm sure she'll have a blast!

If I like it, I might get one for the guinea pigs so Shelby and I can sit in with them as well instead of them getting picked up out of their cage and expected not to run all over the place.

My fish aren't the only ones spoiled in this house.

Akari_32

yay! u found more! u gotta love walmart sometimes (even if their fish care does suck >.> <.< ) hope it works, and can't wait for a video!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• bolivianbaby
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
bolivianbaby
Replies
Views
FinalFins

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom