Got A Good Laugh While Calling Some Stores :) Funny 

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dlconcidine said:
I noticed that my local Walmart also had no fish, but their sign said they were revamping the area. There was no one in the area to ask. Next time I'll see if anyone knows.
Cichlid-Man posted that Walmart is discontinuing sale of live fish in some of their stores and leaving it up to individual stores wether or not they will stock live fish. The article mentioned how this would effect the aquatic sales business community. It may be a negative for the venders but it is surely better for the fish.

HeyMikeyH

Reaction score
To be fair, customers can be equally clueless. Years ago I worked at a LFS and had customers like the older lady who insisted our guppy tank was mislabeled: "Those are 'guffies'!" or the elderly gentleman who came in for "swordtail platys." Thinking he was looking for fancy platys, took him to the live-bearer section, where he went directly to the swordtails and corrected me every time I said "swordtail." Then there was the lady who threatened to call the police because we were selling piranhas (i.e., silver dollars)…

Leafy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was standing next to a cage full of budgies at our small local pet chain here in San Diego, and an employee answered the phone and said, "No, sorry sir, we don't carry budgies here." That's just the more precise name for the parakeets we commonly see in pet stores.

I used to work at that pet store too, right out of high school. SMH.

HeyMikeyH said:
Then there was the lady who threatened to call the police because we were selling piranhas (i.e., silver dollars)…
Just saw this. That happened to me too when I worked at the pet store. Lol!

Kwig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Petco employee here. They send us Japanese algae eating shrimp and amano shrimp and I've always wondered what the difference was, minus price. So I started blocking any variety except amano, and they aren't kept NEAR the ghost shrimp for that reason. No one who isn't familiar with aquatics are allowed to release fish shipments. My poor margin dies with the amano and ghost shrimp mix ups!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kwig said:
Petco employee here. They send us Japanese algae eating shrimp and amano shrimp and I've always wondered what the difference was, minus price. So I started blocking any variety except amano, and they aren't kept NEAR the ghost shrimp for that reason. No one who isn't familiar with aquatics are allowed to release fish shipments. My poor margin dies with the amano and ghost shrimp mix ups!
I suspect both are the same shrimp. I've seen wholesalers label things in an odd way and I'm not sure why. My otocinclus on the invoice are always labeled "algae eater --- oto" despite the fact that there are plenty of oto species. Part of the reason I cheer when some wholesalers go out of business.

glo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just noticed that my small Wal-Mart no longer stocks live fish. I was so happy & relieved to see that!

Crysta

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
dlconcidine said:
I noticed that my local Walmart also had no fish, but their sign said they were revamping the area. There was no one in the area to ask. Next time I'll see if anyone knows.
They still have fish at my Walmart (Waterville, ME)

Crysta

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crysta said:
They still have fish at my Walmart (Waterville, ME) and they are not cared for

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had luck at some Petcos. One of many in my area has a avid hobbyist as the manager of the aquatics section. I looked at all the tanks and saw the most amazing display of healthy fish I'd ever seen in a store, any store, including my mom and pop LFS. While I most likely attribute this to the fact that the section was smaller and thus took less time to maintain, I have had a lot of conversations with her and discovered that she buys from different wholesalers. She's extremely careful when buying to make sure she buys healthier animals.She also is passionate about what she's doing and can tell you the Latin names of any fish or how to breed them like shes telling the time. Some people don't have enough time, experience, or care to give to make sure they do a exemplary job. This is why many Petcos have bad aquatics. But I'd be cautious to walk into a Petco with assumptions about the people who work there, especially the older ones who could be working somewhere else (most teens are just there for the money) but probably has a passion for it. You never know what you'll get.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You know, it always nearly kills me with laughter when the local pet-chain man contradicts something I learned from a long time breeder of X fish, I never actually tell them my source though. One because I'm too anxious to correct them, and two because it wouldn't change their mind anyway

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DeathFromNH said:
Though I would rather use my local fish shop, SHOUT OUT to Fish Mike Aquatics! They don’t offer a return policy, and with really expensive fish(or shrimp!) having the one month safety net is big for me since I’m not wealthy. Lol. But also I tend to have way more problems with fish that I get from petco then the fish I get from Mike! Plus like you were saying most people at the big box store know nothing about care, the animals, or anything really, sad but true. But I have had 8 Amano shrimp that came from petco for almost four years now, haven’t lost a one. They are serious cleaning machines and great for any tank you own that doesn’t have a fish that will eat them. They are very expensive snacks! Lol
nikm128 said:
You know, it always nearly kills me with laughter when the local pet-chain man contradicts something I learned from a long time breeder of X fish, I never actually tell them my source though. One because I'm too anxious to correct them, and two because it wouldn't change their mind anyway
I completely understand that feeling ^^’

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kwig said:
@Kwig do you know when they're doing the $1 per gallon tank sale? its been 4 months since the last sale. thanks.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kwig said:
Hey, some of us are very happy with our mislabel amano shrimp! lol Before reading this thread, I had no idea how common this mix up was, I thought that mine was a fluke.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
You can get them even cheaper then that if you buy them in bulk.
Yea but you eat them. Lol. Sorry couldn't resist.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
Yea but you eat them. Lol. Sorry couldn't resist.
Ha ha. I had to explain to my daughter today that she couldnt have brine shrimp eggs for dinner tonight while i was hydrating them for the fish.

Ill have to get some tapioca and cook frog eggs in custard for her next weekend.

Sheryl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No more fish in our local Walmart. They do still sell decorations, food and filters, etc. though.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HeyMikeyH said:
To be fair, customers can be equally clueless. Years ago I worked at a LFS and had customers like the older lady who insisted our guppy tank was mislabeled: "Those are 'guffies'!"
Lol lol guffies! I could just imagine two older ladies adamently insisting they are guffies!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I first swapped my reef tank to fresh water, I wanted an oscar. I called the nearest Petsmart, because I had seen some there recently, and asked for someone in fish. When they picked up, I said, "Do you guys have any oscars right now?"
I kid you not, he had no idea what I was even talking about. He said, "I'm...not sure...can you tell me what they look like?"

Sheryl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went into PetSmart to buy some White Cloud Mountain Minnows and found them in a tank, clearly labeled as such. There was one gold one and the rest were silver. I asked for five, at first not noticing the gold one. The girl said we only have one and motioned to the gold one, saying the others were something else. I don't remember what she said they were. It was the name on a label for the tank next to them. So, I just said, okay, give me the one White Cloud and four of the others. They were IDENTICAL except the slight color variation. I knew that but went straight home and looked it up online! They don't like to be corrected. Although if the price is higher I WILL CORRECT...nicely! LOL
Skavatar said:
@Kwig do you know when they're doing the $1 per gallon tank sale? its been 4 months since the last sale. thanks.
They just ended that sale here in Virginia where I live but could be different elsewhere, although I found out about it online. I bought a 20 tall for $20 but got a discount for buying online and another for first time online purchase, I believe it was. Picked up in store so no delivery fee. Did have to pay VA sales tax though. lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom