Funny Got A Good Laugh While Calling Some Stores :)

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was calling around and asking some stores about their amano shrimp prices and availability. Of course the small local fish shop answered politely and knew exactly what i meant by “live stock” and “amano shrimp”. But once i got to the chain petstore, i couldnt help but get a little laugh over the waiting music. A young lady answered the phone and was very puzzled when i said “live stock”, i had to explain i meant their fish. I went on and said i was wondering if they had any amano shrimps available at the moment. I got quite the pause and a nervous “amano shrimp?” On the other line. Then she put me on hold again to go get someone to check and see and i couldnt help but chuckle a bit more to myself. I ended up forgetting to ask if they had any live plants available aswell (more like i didnt want her to feel more awkward). She sounded quite annoyed when we ended the call. In the back of my mind, i was expecting the difference between the stores when it came to the customer service. I promise i mean nothing malicious towards the girl! Just thought the difference was a bit funny and that was my laugh for today haha

Also to add; gosh i love that little fish store, but man, $6 for a single amano is a bit much for me (sorry kees, love you). If push comes to shove though and i really dont think its worth the risk with petco, then breaking the bank a bit more will be my only option. Good thing i love the couple that work there, they are extraordinarily loving toward all their fish and take such wonderful care of them.

OP
Caffee

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once I was at a petco and noticed amano shrimp labeled as ghost shrimp. I asked what the price on the amano shrimp are and the guy says "amano shrimp are in another tank, those are the ghost shrimp". So I bought 6. Couldn't pass up a deal line that. Shame on me I know.
Honestly; if i saw amanos being sold in the 40 cents to dollar range, i wouldnt blame you. The lack of knowledge has a sad humor to it if you ask me when it comes to these chain stores

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honestly; if i saw amanos being sold in the 40 cents to dollar range, i wouldnt blame you. The lack of knowledge has a sad humor to it if you ask me when it comes to these chain stores
My Petco changed the label from Japanese algae amano shrimp, to just algae shrimp. It's possible they didn't know what they had. I think Petco charged me 4 or 5 bucks a shrimp anyway. I'd pay the extra just to support the small stores if I like them.

OP
Caffee

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Petco changed the label from Japanese algae amano shrimp, to just algae shrimp. It's possible they didn't know what they had. I think Petco charged me 4 or 5 bucks a shrimp anyway. I'd pay the extra just to support the small stores if I like them.
I hear of that pretty often actually with the label changing, seems to happen a lot (which isnt too shocking)

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If Petco has them for much cheaper (and they appear healthy), then go with Petco. Some of their stores aren't that bad. Besides, whether you get Amanos from your small local fish store or some big box store, they're all likely from the same source: that is, wild-caught.

Everyone likes to hate on big chain stores, but they also do some good. They do adoptions for cats and other animals, like Guinea pigs and rabbits. People here like to complain, then post pictures of their Petco and Petsmart bettas, afterwards.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also bought my Amano shrimp from petco because they told me they were the 15 center “ghost shrimp.” My sister and I just made eye contact and we bought 3. They’re all alive and healthy so it was worth the risk to me

Ladyglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There was a thread a little while ago, with a link to a fish supplier and what stores purchased from them. I was looking for guppies at the time so l looked into it, almost all the pet stores, big box and mom & pop got the fish from the same place (Kee's included). If you like them, and want to support them, that is great, I'm all for supporting small businesses, but don't spend the extra money because you think the fish/shrimp are sourced from somewhere better than Petco or Petsmart.

OP
Caffee

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If Petco has them for much cheaper (and they appear healthy), then go with Petco. Some of their stores aren't that bad. Besides, whether you get Amanos from your small local fish store or some big box store, they're all likely from the same source: that is, wild-caught.

Everyone likes to hate on big chain stores, but they also do some good. They do adoptions for cats and other animals, like Guinea pigs and rabbits. People here like to complain, then post pictures of their Petco and Petsmart bettas, afterwards.
That is true. Its just that its rare for chains to not get their other animals from horrid mills and for them to sell sickly animals (i know from personal expierence sadly). But you are right! I will give them the credit of doing adoption programs and donations. Its a very lovely thing to do for the unfortunate animals in shelters.

There was a thread a little while ago, with a link to a fish supplier and what stores purchased from them. I was looking for guppies at the time so l looked into it, almost all the pet stores, big box and mom & pop got the fish from the same place (Kee's included). If you like them, and want to support them, that is great, I'm all for supporting small businesses, but don't spend the extra money because you think the fish/shrimp are sourced from somewhere better than Petco or Petsmart.
Someone else mentioned that post actually to me, but i had no clue kees was in there. Thats actually quite interesting you mention that. I mainly would purchase from them because of how they are treated in the store. The kees by me is insanely careful with how they raise their fish, so thats why i considered it the “safer option”. I also just love the people there lol, they are fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Someone else mentioned that post actually to me, but i had no clue kees was in there. Thats actually quite interesting you mention that. I mainly would purchase from them because of how they are treated in the store. The kees by me is insanely careful with how they raise their fish, so thats why i considered it the “safer option”. I also just love the people there lol, they are fantastic.
Yeah. People equate fish farms to puppy mills for some reason. If it weren't for the farms, there are some species that would actually be extinct. I think most of the variations you see from store to store are from the treatment at the actual store, and the wholesaler. I know one store that blacklisted a wholesaler after 2 warnings. 2 wholesalers have gone under for my lfs in the past 2 years. It makes me happy since those guys were garbage anyway.

DeathFromNH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was calling around and asking some stores about their amano shrimp prices and availability. Of course the small local fish shop answered politely and knew exactly what i meant by “live stock” and “amano shrimp”. But once i got to the chain petstore, i couldnt help but get a little laugh over the waiting music. A young lady answered the phone and was very puzzled when i said “live stock”, i had to explain i meant their fish. I went on and said i was wondering if they had any amano shrimps available at the moment. I got quite the pause and a nervous “amano shrimp?” On the other line. Then she put me on hold again to go get someone to check and see and i couldnt help but chuckle a bit more to myself. I ended up forgetting to ask if they had any live plants available aswell (more like i didnt want her to feel more awkward). She sounded quite annoyed when we ended the call. In the back of my mind, i was expecting the difference between the stores when it came to the customer service. I promise i mean nothing malicious towards the girl! Just thought the difference was a bit funny and that was my laugh for today haha

Also to add; gosh i love that little fish store, but man, $6 for a single amano is a bit much for me (sorry kees, love you). If push comes to shove though and i really dont think its worth the risk with petco, then breaking the bank a bit more will be my only option. Good thing i love the couple that work there, they are extraordinarily loving toward all their fish and take such wonderful care of them.
Though I would rather use my local fish shop, SHOUT OUT to Fish Mike Aquatics! They don’t offer a return policy, and with really expensive fish(or shrimp!) having the one month safety net is big for me since I’m not wealthy. Lol. But also I tend to have way more problems with fish that I get from petco then the fish I get from Mike! Plus like you were saying most people at the big box store know nothing about care, the animals, or anything really, sad but true. But I have had 8 Amano shrimp that came from petco for almost four years now, haven’t lost a one. They are serious cleaning machines and great for any tank you own that doesn’t have a fish that will eat them. They are very expensive snacks! Lol

Ouskamp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

I promise I won't be one that will complain about PetSmart. They have a guy at my store that has so much fish knowledge it's frightening and has multiple tanks of his own. When I got my first Betta I was so worried about his water quality, etc. so he took me in the back and showed me how tanks work and explained everything to me and how it works in my tank in comparison. When I upgraded my Betta into a 10 gallon and didn't know what to put in my 5 gallon and began suggesting Mollies, etc. he quickly slowed my roll and let me know my tank was too small for that many fish and now I have happy Rasboras. I think expertise will always vary and I think that is true with any business. There are those who are passionate about what they do and those who just show up to get paid.

Axemaniac88

Reaction score
We don't have a Petco here in the UK but our equivalent "chain" pet store sells a variety of shrimp but just have them all labelled as ghost shrimp - even the cherries! Thankfully there's another store close by that operates out of a garden centre where the guys who run it are very knowledgeable about all things aquatic.

Seahorse man

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I promise I won't be one that will complain about PetSmart. They have a guy at my store that has so much fish knowledge it's frightening and has multiple tanks of his own. When I got my first Betta I was so worried about his water quality, etc. so he took me in the back and showed me how tanks work and explained everything to me and how it works in my tank in comparison. When I upgraded my Betta into a 10 gallon and didn't know what to put in my 5 gallon and began suggesting Mollies, etc. he quickly slowed my roll and let me know my tank was too small for that many fish and now I have happy Rasboras. I think expertise will always vary and I think that is true with any business. There are those who are passionate about what they do and those who just show up to get paid.
Same with my Petco, I was sceptical on buying an anemone because I had heard some bad things about their saltwater selection, but when I started talking to the "fish manager" for lack of a better term, she started talking about the anemone she got from there a year ago, and it turns out she has 3 reef tanks, including a 350 gallon sps! She said that since she got promoted that she's tried to make it as good as possible, so I have just as much trust in that particular store as I do my small lfs now.

Edit: grammar

funchi777

Reaction score

the last time i went to our walmart they had an empty fish tank, someone had accused them of abuse, anyone know if they have stopped at all stores?

Last edited by a moderator:

dlconcidine

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the last time i went to our walmart they had an empty fish tank, someone had accused them of abuse, anyone know if they have stopped at all stores?
I noticed that my local Walmart also had no fish, but their sign said they were revamping the area. There was no one in the area to ask. Next time I'll see if anyone knows.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom