Got A Free (used) Fluval Spec 5!

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And now I need to clean it up. lol!

Seriously though, I am so excited! Someone where I work had gotten a new job some weeks ago. I noticed a fish tank in the hallway and asked out it. Long story short, the tank is now mine, no charge!

Here is what I have:
full.jpg

And a box of goodies, with the tank lid on top:
full.jpg

I have checked and everything is here! The pump is working and the light is also! I even have the little screw for the light fixture. I still can't believe the guy didn't want his tank. But I am thankful to have it!

I already have a 5 gallon tank for my Betta. But the Spec is much better quality, my current tank came from walmart.

Anyway, I now need to clean this bad boy. I'll be searching online as well, but I'd love some tips from people here before I begin.

Do you think the sponge and media will be safe? How do I clean that?
I don't plan to keep the charcoal bag. But I do want the sponge and other media. I actually plan to use the media from my current filter in there so I can have a ready cycle. (Once the new tank is all clean of course!)

How about the pump? Do I just run water through it?
I already know that I plan to cut a small hole or two in the tube from the pump to help the flow. (Been reading some online already!) Are there any other modifications you recommend? I have read about covering the small intake slit that is near-ish the bottom of the tank. Is this a good idea or not?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm thrilled to have this tank and I am hoping to set it up right the first time. (If possible!)

Thank you all!!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would buy a new filter media and sponge. Try the pump it could be broken. (But if it doesnt who cares you bought it for nothing) I did a bleach rinse on my 5 gallon i got from the thrift store that was gross. Also some boiling water works. I don't know about the last question because I don't own any fluval protects. (Too much money for me)

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Would be great if you done a build thread on here

Always wanted one of the Fluval Spec's but refuse to pay the new price for them lol. And not seen many second hand at a decent price round here either.

If it was me i would just buy new filtration media and give the tank a quick swill with salt water, rinse out and setup.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you!

This was a tank I had wanted, but I was not about to spend close to $100 for it either. So, it was a real treat to find an unwanted Spec 5 at work today!

New filter media it is then! I hope my local Petsmart will have it in stock.. Though I bet I will need to order that online.

The pump *does* indeed work! I tried it out in a cup of water. The light works as well.

I'll keep updating, or maybe start a thread in the 'build' section if that is appropriate.

Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom