Got a free baby shrimp with duckweed

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I got some duckweed from my fish store and well a baby shrimp got scooped up with the duckweed lol! I dont know what kind of shrimp it is it's clear with brown spot I'm assuming that's its stomach. I got some marimo balls in there because I plan on getting shrimp and a betta anyway. He probably wont make it though because theres no other creatures in there for him to socialize with atm. I didnt want to flush him down the drain! I'm gonna try to keep him alive.

bobbyta74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A pic will verify. But most likely either a ghost or amano. Never flush anything! Return them if you can't keep them.

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's almost certainly not an Amano as their "baby" stage happens in brackish water and doesn't look like a miniature adult. I'd guess it's either a wild type Cherry shrimp or a ghost shrimp. You'll probably be shocked at how hardy they can be- it's very likely to survive though you might not see it much!

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it's a cherry shrimp as well I seen pictures of cherry shrimp fry and ghost shrimp fry but it looks more like it's on the cherry side. If it survives I'm naming it Elon Musk.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilirose said:
It's almost certainly not an Amano as their "baby" stage happens in Bbackish water
True i forgot all about that!

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
A pic will verify. But most likely either a ghost or amano. Never flush anything! Return them if you can't keep them.
I cant find him hopefully little Elon is just hiding in the wood!

Attachments

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20191214_212355.jpg
omg guys I found Elon! He was on my sponge filter. I dont think hes a cherry strimp...

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wild type maybe? not the right shape for ghost. Is there a stripe down the back of it?

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20191214_212734.jpg
heres a clearer picture he looks like he has a stripe down his back with little spots lining it up

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe she's a wild type Neocaridina, aka Cherry shrimp- and also female! If you intend to buy Cherry Shrimp on purpose for that tank, she will dilute the colours in the offspring, so you were planning on getting something with bright colours and you care about breeding, you might need to move her.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice little hitchhiker you have there! Not as colorful as fancy neos, but with a subtle charm.

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilirose said:
I believe she's a wild type Neocaridina, aka Cherry shrimp- and also female! If you intend to buy Cherry Shrimp on purpose for that tank, she will dilute the colours in the offspring, so you were planning on getting something with bright colours and you care about breeding, you might need to move her.
So it is a cherry shrimp? I thought it was a ghost shrimp after seeing it up close lol. I plan on putting cherry shrimp in there but not breeding them. I'm just gonna let them do their own thing. They're gonna be a clean up crew for the betta tank. It's a female eh? Then I'm changing her name to Elon Muskette

EmmGood

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Grats on the hitchhiker, I got some nice ramshorn snails that way myself. :D

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
crazycracker said:
So it is a cherry shrimp? I thought it was a ghost shrimp after seeing it up close lol. I plan on putting cherry shrimp in there but not breeding them. I'm just gonna let them do their own thing. They're gonna be a clean up crew for the betta tank. It's a female eh? Then I'm changing her name to Elon Muskette
Cherry shrimp will breed whether you want them to or not- they are like rabbits. They aren't always red- the colouration comes through careful line breeding, which is why you can find Neocaridina in nearly any colour you want these days. In the wild most of them look exactly like your little one there.

They also are a very poor "cleanup crew" as they don't eat fish poo (nothing does) and they usually won't touch the sorts of algae that you most want to go away, and they create plenty of poo all by themselves. Many Bettas will eat them, as well- every time I say that, someone posts to say how "chill" their Betta is, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Bettas are natural insectivores and they see shrimp as being nice edible bugs.

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilirose said:
Cherry shrimp will breed whether you want them to or not- they are like rabbits. They aren't always red- the colouration comes through careful line breeding, which is why you can find Neocaridina in nearly any colour you want these days. In the wild most of them look exactly like your little one there.

They also are a very poor "cleanup crew" as they don't eat fish poo (nothing does) and they usually won't touch the sorts of algae that you most want to go away, and they create plenty of poo all by themselves. Many Bettas will eat them, as well- every time I say that, someone posts to say how "chill" their Betta is, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Bettas are natural insectivores and they see shrimp as being nice edible bugs.
Welp I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. If he eats them at least he got some protein extra for his diet. I figured they'd breed anyway but I read that the betta would eat some of the eggs. And of course ik they dont eat poop lol. Who the heck wakes up in the morning and thinks "awww man those are some good looking fish turds right there!" And by clean up crew I meant by eating little pieces of food that the betta didnt get. I got marimo balls for them too. I'm also gonna boil slices of carrot and cucumber for them.

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry shrimp don't lay eggs- they carry them on their bodies until they hatch tiny baby shrimp that are miniature adults.

Also, as someone who's kept Bettas for many years, you should never leave uneaten food in the tank- feed them a pellet, wait until they eat it, and give them another. Two pellets a day is plenty. Overfeeding is one of the primary causes of early death in Bettas, because it leads to fatty liver disease as well as contaminated water in the tank.

(Please don't take this as me jumping on your case- I don't intend it that way! I'm just doing my part, as there's so much false information out there on the Net, and people who are just starting in the hobby are hopefully on this forum to learn and care for their livestock as well as they possibly can. :) )

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilirose said:
Cherry shrimp don't lay eggs- they carry them on their bodies until they hatch tiny baby shrimp that are miniature adults.

Also, as someone who's kept Bettas for many years, you should never leave uneaten food in the tank- feed them a pellet, wait until they eat it, and give them another. Two pellets a day is plenty. Overfeeding is one of the primary causes of early death in Bettas, because it leads to fatty liver disease as well as contaminated water in the tank.

(Please don't take this as me jumping on your case- I don't intend it that way! I'm just doing my part, as there's so much false information out there on the Net, and people who are just starting in the hobby are hopefully on this forum to learn and care for their livestock as well as they possibly can. :) )
You are fine. Thanks for caring! Funny thing is I got most of my info about shrimp from my fish store.. the irony! I was told that if I put the shrimp in the tank first way before the betta, the chances of them getting attacked is less likely because the betta will think they were there before him. But it depends on how savage the betta temperament is like u said. I'm gonna plant some hair grass or guppy grass (dont know yet) for the shrimp to hide in as well.

Fishcat said:
That’s a nice little hitchhiker you have there! Not as colorful as fancy neos, but with a subtle charm.
Yea it's a cute little thing

Ryanpowell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool tank

crazycracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ryanpowell said:
Pretty cool tank