Got a case of Ich on a DG

• Thread starter AmnScott
  • Start date

AmnScott

Well Known
Well... I got a case of Ich in my new 20G high... seems like the last week or so everything that can go wrong is going wrong. I instantly knew my Dwarf Gourami had ich when he started flaring and scratching on the Aquarium decor/rocks. He also has raised crystallized "specs" on his fins... another classic sign of Ich.

This isn't my first time dealing with Ich, but the last two times I dealt with it, I had two different results.

I know there is a raging debate among the hobby when it comes to dealing with Ich. Some say to use medicine, others say to just raise temp and vacuum the gravel. Based on my experience and research, I have decided to just raise the temp to 87, vacuum the gravel every 2-3 days, and feed him fish food soaked in garlic juice. An old fashioned method that doesn't involve pouring chemicals into my tank.

If anyone has any further input and experience, it is warmly welcomed. I know this is a redundant issue/topic on the forum, as Ich is such a common disease.

Aquarium Water Parameters- Ammonia: 0.25ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate 20 ppm
Tap Water Parameters- Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 0
Aquarium pH: 7.5

Stocking: 1 DG

Keep in mind, this is a relatively new tank. To "cycle" it, I used a pre-filter from a cycled tank as well as TSS+. It seems like the tank is "mostly" cycled but still has a little ways to go. I am guessing the low amounts of Ammonia are the cause for Ich on this DG. He went from an established environment with 0 ammonia to an environment with .25ppm of Ammonia. I have 8 other tanks that are established and mature, so I may end up stealing some more cycled media from one of them. Below is my course of action to treat it, critique it as much as you want:

-Raise temp to 87 degrees F for two weeks straight.
-Gravel vacuuming every 3 days to include a 40-50% water change
-Feed fish garlic juice, more specifically, Seachem Garlic Guard
-After two weeks of no signs of Ich, reduce temp to normal, and wait an additional week before adding fish.

GlennO

Well Known
Your course of action sounds good, although I would personally reach for the meds if I encountered it again after having dealt with a heat resistant strain.

I'm not sure about ammonia being the cause of it, although it definitely wouldn't help. In my experience Ich is introduced with new fish or plants. Since you have 8 established tanks you have the option of packing the filter with mature media to address any ammonia issues. With all that mature media you could have instantly cycled the tank. Anyhow I think your plan will work if you've caught it early enough, good luck.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
I think your method sounds like a great way. I can tell you I've kept fish about 20 years now and used actual ich medication one time, the rest of the time I just use heat :)

Ammonia doesn't cause ich BUT ich is more commonly caught by fish that are stressed due to their conditions.

AmnScott

Well Known
GlennO said:
Your course of action sounds good, although I would personally reach for the meds if I encountered it again after having dealt with a heat resistant strain.

I'm not sure about ammonia being the cause of it, although it definitely wouldn't help. In my experience Ich is introduced with new fish or plants. Since you have 8 established tanks you have the option of packing the filter with mature media to address any ammonia issues. With all that mature media you could have instantly cycled the tank. Anyhow I think your plan will work if you've caught it early enough, good luck.
True. If I don't see the spores starting to fall off in a few days (just from the heat alone), I will start using Ich-X or Para-guard. I decided to grab some ceramic media from a tank that's been up for 3 years and put it in with the filter media on the 20G high. Hopefully that will help.

e_watson09 said:
I think your method sounds like a great way. I can tell you I've kept fish about 20 years now and used actual ich medication one time, the rest of the time I just use heat :)

Ammonia doesn't cause ich BUT ich is more commonly caught by fish that are stressed due to their conditions.
Yeah I've heard of a lot of experienced hobbyists just using the heat method. I found a post made by Aquarist last night that seems pretty much on par with my treatment plan. ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment | 153206 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
DG's are temperature sensitive and high temps will start hormons running through its body causing unneeded and unwanted stress.

Therefor I would only use meds in case of a DG.

AmnScott

Well Known
DoubleDutch said:
DG's are temperature sensitive and high temps will start hormons running through its body causing unneeded and unwanted stress.

Therefor I would only use meds in case of a DG.
Fair point. This is the first time I've had Ich on a DG. Ich-X seems like a reputable option.

Top Bottom