Got a brand new 11.5 gallon tank for my birthday (my 5th tank)

Unknown9182
I just recently got a 11.5 gallon fish tank for my 16th birthday and this is the link for it Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More

I was wondering what I should put in it, fish wise and plant wise. I want to get some hardy plants that dont need a lot of care for (Not java fern because I have potassium issues with them). Some hardy plants, no small stem plants. I also plan on adding driftwood and black gravel and perhaps some rocks for decor. The fish I would like to get are schooling fish, maybe neon tetras or cardinal fish and with that one center piece fish. The tank comes with a filter, led light, fish net, siphon, tongs. Probably the most accessories I have ever seen come with a tank and multiple background options.
Any suggestions are recommend thank you.
PS: Would cherry shrimp be feasible with any of the aforementioned fish above? If not I can put two baby plecos I got from my recent BN pleco batch and grow them out there as an algae eater, I’m not good with snails. They always die on me no matter what I do.

Advertisement
emilymg
That tank looks awesome, and yes, those smaller schooling fish you mentioned would do fine with cherry shrimp. If you do choose neon tetras, I recommend black neons. They tend to be hardier and IMO look better. Other smaller schooling fish that would look nice could be celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, or neon green rasboras. For a centerpiece fish you could go with a betta (although probably not with the cherry shrimp unless the betta doesn’t bother them), or a honey gourami (a personal favorite). Let me know what you choose and I would love to see the build/set up of this tank! :)

Unknown9182
That tank looks awesome, and yes, those smaller schooling fish you mentioned would do fine with cherry shrimp. If you do choose neon tetras, I recommend black neons. They tend to be hardier and IMO look better. Other smaller schooling fish that would look nice could be celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, or neon green rasboras. For a centerpiece fish you could go with a betta (although probably not with the cherry shrimp unless the betta doesn’t bother them), or a honey gourami (a personal favorite). Let me know what you choose and I would love to see the build/set up of this tank! :)
I was thinking the same thing about the neon tetras because they aren’t really hardy, I know that my local petco has gotten a lot of new fish they haven’t had before in stock. I think the honey gourami is a good idea. I will go with the honey gourami but I will have to see what they have at the store for schooling fish. I just need to know what plants will do well. Hardy ones that is.

Advertisement
Coradee
Happy birthday , what a great present :)
Stocking this tank is going to be tricky as it’s only 4.5” deep. Here are the dimensions
17.5'' H x 68'' W x 4.5'' D
The only fish I can think of that might possibly work would be chilli rasboras, other than that I’d suggest shrimp & a snail

Unknown9182
Happy birthday , what a great present :)
Stocking this tank is going to be tricky as it’s only 4.5” deep. Here are the dimensions
17.5'' H x 68'' W x 4.5'' D
The only fish I can think of that might possibly work would be chilli rasboras, other than that I’d suggest shrimp & a snail
It says it’s 11.5 gallons. The depth it shows is the front of the tank to the back of the tank.

Coradee
It says it’s 11.5 gallons. The depth it shows is the front of the tank to the back of the tank.
Yes I understand that, the height 17.5“, the width 68“ long & depth front to back 4.5”, those seem to be overall dimensions including the frame so the actual tank space for stocking may be smaller.

Pwilly07
That looks sooo cool!! Does one like that really cost that much? I have been thinking about different tanks to get someday, but I'd have to save for this one.

Happy Birthday and I'd 2nd chilli rasboras, shrimp, and maybe some small corys like pygmy corys.

Unknown9182
That looks sooo cool!! Does one like that really cost that much? I have been thinking about different tanks to get someday, but I'd have to save for this one.

Happy Birthday and I'd 2nd chilli rasboras, shrimp, and maybe some small corys like pygmy corys.
It was on a special, 64% off. So my parents got it for me. So it costed less than half the price.
Edit: I have been thinking about a school of Pygmy cories and rasboras and maybe some shrimp.

Unknown9182
I think what I might get for the tank may be: a school of Pygmy cories, school of rasboras or something similar, cherry shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views
AngelTheGypsy
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views