Got a betta today

hightower
I got my first betta today, hes a blue/red crowntail, really nice looking... I tried to take a picture of him but hes really camera shy, LOL!

Hes in the tank with my 5 danios right now (I know i've read all about how problems CAN arise in this scenario), so far so good, the danios have left him completely alone and hes totally un-interested in them. I've got another tank to put the betta in just in case things change, but so far I'm very pleased with how well they are all getting along. So far my betta's biggest concern is my filter... he keeps swimming up there every 20 or 30 minutes, flaring up a little bit for 30 seconds or so, then swims down again. other than not liking my filter, he seems quite happy in my tank so far, been swimming around exploring around the rocks and plants and such.

Blub
Hi!

Your Betta does not enjoy a high water current. (Well... He probably dosn't like it. You never know with Bettas!)

How big is the tank?

chickadee
I am glad you have a backup plan in case there are problems with fish compatibility. I would not worry too much about the filter current. Most bettas are never around current in their entire lives until purchased and taken home and put in a tank. They spend their fryhood in jars and then go to cups in the stores and never encounter a filter so they do not know about current and do not build up their swimming muscles the way fish do who are used to swimming in current filled water. In a few weeks he will be diving in the current and having a grand time when his muscles are built up and he finds he can have fun in it. They like bubbles too when they figure out how much fun they are. It is culture shock for them to enter a tank with all this new stuff and it takes a while for them to get used to it all but he will.

Congratulations on the new betta. Be sure to keep us informed on his progress. Does he have a name yet? We like to call them by name as they do have personalities. Also we do like to see pictures if you have any. Welcome to you both.

Rose

hightower
No, I havn't named him as of yet... I'm sure something will come to me. So he's still doing well with the danio's, they all seem to be leaving each other alone... the danios actually seem to be afraid of him, they swim away when he gets near them. Today I learned that my betta is a picky eater, he refuses to eat flakes... haha, I went and got some flakes for betta fish, and he refuses to eat them...

Oh, and still no decent picture, hes very camera shy... its like hes got a 6th sense when there's a camera on him, he darts away and hides behind a plant or something. Lil bugger! hahaha.

≈ D ≈
Great news there hightower and Welcome to Fishlore

If you can get him some pellets specifically for Bettas, that would be better - a personal recommendation would be HikarI Betta Bio-Gold.

Start with one pellet and if he won't eat it, from what I've recently learned, soaking them in garlic juice will 'entice' him to. Just give him 3 pellets, twice a day when his eating habits improve. It would also be good to substitute the pellets with frozen or freeze driedblood worm 2 or 3 times during the week; give him 4 individual bloodworms if using the frozen type.

hightower
hahaha, the lil bugger finally let me take a picture of him.... even stopped long enough to pose for a lil while, maybe he wants to be shown off now? *shrug*

This is him, still un-named...

MissMTS
awwwwwwwww! He's cute! Congrats

MagpieTear
It must be the fish alien mind control... Everyone's getting bettas! Congrats, he's a handsome one!

Now pardon me while I go make a tin-foil hat before I end up with more tanks...

Allie
It must be the fish alien mind control... Everyone's getting bettas! Congrats, he's a handsome one!

Now pardon me while I go make a tin-foil hat before I end up with more tanks...
It's Betta mind control.

Blub
Hi!

He's like a CT version of Malachai!

King_Snuggles
wow mine has that exact coloration excepe mine is not a crown tail. best of luck.

EpiFight
Does he have blue eyes? He's very handsome.

hightower
Yes he does have blue eyes.

chickadee
Very Nice Betta! Congratulations. He is very healthy looking too! Have fun with him and keep us informed of his progress.

Rose

COBettaCouple
He's a very handsome combtail. ;D

chickadee
Dave is most correct. The little guy is a Combtail not a Crowntail. Much nicer IMHO.

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sleepyflea
  • Question
Replies
Views