Got a bag of play sand from home depot....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Jaysee, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm looking for white sand for the 90 and went to home depot. They had white play sand, but it looks grey to me. I put it in a 10 gallon as a test.... eh. Not thrilled. They didn't have pool filter sand or blasting sand.

Any suggestions for white sand?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

From what I understand the playsand you guys get in the US is all a brownish colour. I've got playsand in the 6x2x2ft but ours is pure white. Perhaps you could get white silica sand from a landscaping supplies place? You would have to check it pretty well first though to make sure it wasn't really sharp grained.

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

This is greyish, and while the bag said super fine, it's not as smooth as I'd like. So, the search continues.

4. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Jaysee. Keep lookin' around for that pool filter sand, I would say.

5. d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

You can also check a local landscaping company. I was just at one yesterday, and they had several pallets with bags of sand. One of them was pure white.

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I've always gotten PFS at pool supply stores. Have you tried calling around to a few?

7. Jamel2333

Jamel2333 New Member Member

Wjite sand

Hi there I bought a 50 lb. bag of quickrete play sand it's been strained washed and dried , works just fine...Hope it works for you.

8. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thanks, I went with pool filter sand though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice