Got a 75 gallon for free

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got it for free from my dad's friend. He says that it's a 75 gallon aquarium but it doesn't seem much bigger than my 29 gallon aquarium. It has a lot of scratches and is really dirty. Could I clean it with baking soda? Also, I plan to put leleupi cichlids in there.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you go here: https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm

At the bottom of the page is an area where you can put in the measurements of the tank and hit "compute" and it will tell you how many gallons the tank holds. That would let you confirm the size if you are unsure based on its appearance.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WOW! How lucky can you get! Congrats on the new tank. Baking soda and lots of work will get it clean
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also use vinegar to clean it and then you would have to rinse it like you have never rinsed before. You could also use this site which Butterfly showed me.

Tom

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm very happy for you Stradius You know, I used to think that 75 gallon is a big tank ... but actually, after a while, it becomes kind of "normal" ... you know. Now it doesn't seem that big to me at all! I want a bigger tank! I don't think I'll ever be satisfied in this hobby UNTIL I get some 200 - 300 gallon tank ... seriously!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isabella said:
I'm very happy for you Stradius You know, I used to think that 75 gallon is a big tank ... but actually, after a while, it becomes kind of "normal" ... you know. Now it doesn't seem that big to me at all! I want a bigger tank! I don't think I'll ever be satisfied in this hobby UNTIL I get some 200 - 300 gallon tank ... seriously!
Maybe the aquarium down at 'The Living Seas' in EPCOT would do? Think of the possibilities.. LOL

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I decided to get Fancy Goldfishes. How many would do, 4-6 or less? What plants are reccomended? I am not good at designing my aquariums.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stradius011 said:
I decided to get Fancy Goldfishes. How many would do, 4-6 or less? What plants are reccomended? I am not good at designing my aquariums.
- this info might help. 4-6 sounds like they'd fit into a 75 gallon well.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you're buying live plants for goldfish, don't buy expensive ones. Goldfish have a habit of tearing them out of the substrate and snacking on them. I planted a little swatch of microsword in my tank. About a week later, I found it floating on the surface.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far I have vallisneria, swordplants, java fern, myriophyllum hippuroides, anarchis, and water sprites on my list. Will they be hardy enough?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did a bit of work for my aunt and got some good links, I'll see if I can pull them up for you. I wouldn't go for more than 6 fancies. Though if you wanted you could keep a common plec in the tank as long as you keep a heater so it doesn't get too cold but you would have to take some fancies out. The plants you said are ok though most will probably get eaten except java fern, though you can try and see what they do, doesn't hurt. Hornwort is good too I'm pretty sure along with java moss. Just have as much filtration as you can, more than 10x and use bubble things.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
atmmachine said:
Just have as much filtration as you can, more than 10x and use bubble things.
So...get a filter that's for a 750 gallon with aerotion thingies?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What I would do is get two of the large filters at wal-mart, called aqua-tech or something like that than diy put a bio-wheel on it. I think they run about 30-35$. They are a lot cheaper and the same filter basicaly as the bio-wheel just without the bio-wheel. Or if you not comfortable with that get two of the biggest aquaclear or bio-wheels or one of each. Or if you have the money get a canister. Depends on your budget and what you like. Personally I would just get a aquaclear, largest one and a emperor bio-wheel 400. And ya buy different aeration things and some pumps. Helps keep the water moving without creating a huge current and IMO I've seen goldfish tanks with and without these and the one's that have them are by far the best.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Actually, I need to make it a fancy guppy aquarium. My guppies are reproducing like crazy, lol. Can guppies and a pair of dojos get a long fine?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stradius011 said:
Actually, I need to make it a fancy guppy aquarium. My guppies are reproducing like crazy, lol. Can guppies and a pair of dojos get a long fine?
The dojos can be aggressive with small fish sometimes. I think it's a 50/50 thing.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok. :-X

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You'l still need a large filter, guppies produce a lot of waste. They should keep reproducing in the 75, if you let it go long enough you'l have tons, my grandpa did that.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wow! 75 gallon! Am getting a 40 gallon from my parents for my birthday and thought I was pretty lucky, but 75 gallon! You must have done something right in your previous life.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i would settle for a free ten! lol
great find. good luck.
mojo

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
armadillo said:
Wow! 75 gallon! Am getting a 40 gallon from my parents for my birthday and thought I was pretty lucky, but 75 gallon! You must have done something right in your previous life.
Another person kindly offered to give me another aquarium that's about the same size but I don't have any more room, lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom