Got 2 plants-Need help planting one

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey everyone. I got my first live plant Java Fern...I just spent a little while tying it to a stone with sewing thread...I kinda had to use a few long pieces. Perhaps because the thread was so fine. The other plant I got to try out is wisteria. It was not that much $$ and Iv heard allot of people have success with it even in low light so we will see. Iv been looking on the net and I see allot about the plant and its a plant that you actually plant in the substrate but other than that I don't know how to plant it...Its like a bunch of individual stems? Do I just stick in the gravel all together? ??? lol

Also on the java fern what if I decide I want to attach it somewhere else will that work or will it kill it? Thanks!

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So long as your gentle in removing the Java Fern you can move it to another location or you can just wait until it spreads abit & trim some off to attach in a different place.

Water Wisteria usually comes as a single plant with roots etc. With anything that comes as seperate stems it is usually best to plant each stem seperately so that each one can grow into it's own individual plant. Can you post a pic of the 'Water Wisteria' just so that I can confirm that it is actually what it's supposed to be?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, Thanks...How big would it have to be, how do I trim with out hurting? Wait I think I remember something stickied here about that. I'll check it out later.

Ok here it is...Most of the stems have little roots starting to be coming out. Its in the water right now because it had already been out for awhile so I didn't want it sitting out longer so its just kinda clumped up in there...

I'm kinda wondering as I wait for an answer to see what I bought. It was $1.99 so if it was a big mistake at least it wasn't too costly.

1) Heres a pic its not such a great one, hope you can tell. Just tell me if ya need a better one. (they look like they have a pinkish grey tinge on them in that pic but they don't really its the light shining on them I think)

2)Heres my java fern..

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like the emersed version of Water Wisteria. Over time it will lose those leaves & they will be replaced by the submerged form of leaf. They are drastically different when they have the submerged form of leaf on them. Plant each stem seperately as each one will grow into it's own individual plant.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom