got 2 bolivian rams

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I got 2 bolivian rams today and put them in the 35 gal as a Q tank. The only other fish in there with them are 2 leopard danios and 1 panda cory. So far they seem ok minus a little pushing. I was hoping one would go to one side of the tank and the other would have the other side but no such luck, they are almost sitting on top of each other or Side by Side, is that normal:;dk, the cory is swimming with them, its so cute. Not sure of sex and tomorrow when my son is home from work I will hopefully get pics.

2. DRock914 Member Member

I've only had rams for a 1 1/2 weeks but mine are always together. Every now and then they ram each other. Let me know if you see yours eating. Its not easy to sex them but if you can get clear side shots of them I can try to help you.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with DRock. Mine don't act that way, however if you have that much peace between them, that's AWESOME!

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Hi BB, I've missed you on the forum, did you get a chance to see my 72 gal tank yet? I finally set it up. I have the rams in the 35, I just got them this evening. They both looked a little pale when I first put them in the tank but one is starting to have a little color back. I have been looking at the sexing rams link and I think I have a male and a female. They are both in the same corner of the tank. They are not fighting just a little poke here and there, is that normal for them to stay together. I expected one to go to one side or something. The one I think is the male is the one doing the pushing and also the one with more color so far. I am keeping a close eye on them for tonight. Hopefully I wont have to seperate them and put one in the 72 gal. I have a tank full of babies and would hate to see them wiped out.

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry, I've been in and out. Minor emotional drama that I've recovered from. I'm going to find your thread on your 72g. If they are male/female, that would explain the behavior. I have two fems and they are seriously hormonal. But there's 55g for them to fight over and a few angelfish that get in the way:;ufo

The major warning I got when mine were in a smaller tank was constant chasing and no peace. My larger female wouldn't let my smaller female eat. If you're not seeing constant chasing, they should be compatible, especially if they're chilling out side by side.

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Its not constant but the one I suspect is a female is the one getting pushed but neither will leave that side of the tank. They dont look like they are trying to hurt each other and they have only been in the tank for almost 2 hours. I dont understand why my lone panda cory is sticking with them like they are all one crew, its so cute. My 72 gal is under freshwater beginners "the big move"

Glad you have recovered as its nice to have you back...........

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say your rams are happy and sent the happy love to the cory so he joined in.:p

Your 72 looks awesome! I just checked the thread. You have some fabulous stocking ideas as well.

8. redlessi Well Known Member Member

So do you think they are fine since the pushing is not constant and there is no chasing so far. Is it normal for them to both stay on the same side together? I would hate to go to bed and wake up to a disaster.

Do males have more color than the females?

I plan on putting them in the 72 once some of the platy fry get big enough not to be considered a snack. Right now I am using the 35 for a Q tank and since it is all ready set up its like a regular tank.

Thanks for the compliment........

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I would think they are fine. I'm no expert in sexing rams. I wait for an egg tube to show.

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

It looks like they are setting in pretty good, they are eating good. They have not gone to the top for food but seem to like the algae wafers that I am feeding the cories. I really love these guys especially how they swim and stop like they are putting on the brakes.

11. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Well what I thought was them eating is actually them chewing the food and spitting it back out, is that normal?

12. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Chances are the food isn't the same as they were used to being fed, they will get used to it. While they are not eating well though just make sure you don't get any uneaten food laying arund the tank.

Bolivians are also a very attractive cichlid, problem is most people don't keep them until full grown so they miss out on this cichlid. Good luck with them.

Brian

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Brian with the food comment and the coloration. They don't get full coloration until 18 months to 2 years old, but I've really enjoyed watching mine making the transitions over time.

14. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I love these fish, they are so cool and their colors are starting to show up a little, more so when the lights are off. I cant wait to put them in the 72 gallon, they are going to love it.

15. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Update on the rams. They have each picked a side of the tank. The only bickering is done at feeding time. Its almost like they have a line drawn in the tank and if one crosses it, they chase back to the other side. Every once in a while I catch them swimming together with the panda cories. I really enjoy watching as they have so much personality. They come to the front of the tank to say hello whenever I get near. They are still in the 35 gallon tank for now. I love these guys.

16. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! We love ours, too! they have fantastic personalities.

17. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Every now and then during feeding I have caught them doing a lip lock thing, they are a little mean at lunch......... Is this normal????

18. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yes 100%...just showing off and bickering.

Brian

19. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks because it was making me a little nervous. They have not tried to hurt each other so I guess everything is ok. I have to get used to them.........

20. DRock914 Member Member

I've noticed mine lip locking a little too but they never go after any other fish.