supposedly eat livebearers fry

3. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

thax just about anything about them would be helpful

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well can you be anymore specific as its easier to help then

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

what they eat, what there habits are

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

they will eaT bottom feeder pellets, flake, whatever but if you feed the pellets make sure they are small enough for them ;)

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i think they can live in your tank doesnt really matter and they will eat anything thats on the bottom

8. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

next time im at my lfs il get some :)

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds good just make sure you have a hiding place for them when they molt

10. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

need to get one any way for my cories

11. chris02_84 Member Member

can you put them in with dwarf frogs, tinfoil barbs and bala sharks? ps.....there are LOTS of hiding place for them...but is it possible?

12. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds ok though they might get eaten by the larger fish i dont know since my angels are supposed to eat them but they dont well at least not the bigges shrimp the smallest one dissapeared i think they ate him but you can try it since they wont hurt anything i dont think they are cheap so i would say go ahead get 5-10 or so

13. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

the biggest fish that i have is my pleco so i dont think that the small fish will eat them

14. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Ghosties shouldn't be kept with anything larger than 3 inches, although I don't think Cats would matter. They will eat small fry, though I've heard mixed opinions on whether they can get livebearer fry or not. They apparently need both veggie matter and protein in their diets, and will eat any kind of fish flakes, pellets or wafers. Their lifespan is only a year or so. Being clear and liking to hide, don't expect to be able to count them all! They do molt occasionally, so don't be alarmed if you find an empty shrimp "skin" in your aquarium. Beware that any meds containing copper will kill them. They can be kept in cold or tropical water. That's about all I can think of right now. Ghosties are awesome!

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i dont agree with the three inch rule as if you go on my site all the fish in my tank dont bother them including the angels and they are big angels even though they are supposed to eat them though one dissappeared when i first bought them and that was the smallest so i think the bigger they are the better the chance of them surviving

16. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, I was just repeating something I read, but if you've tried it it's probably fine. Just a note, I have heard several accounts of Bettas eating them.

17. inari Well Known Member Member

that really depends on the size of them i have/had two bamboo shrimp to help as a clean up crew and boy do they have an all u can eat buffet at the bottom of my tank dang anyway how is a betta supposed to eat something as big as they are usually they would eat something smaller just a thought pls shoot full of holes if u feel it necissary
    brent

18. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

MY betta killed a ghost shrimp at first but then he left them alone. Supposedly they live longer with a bit of salt added.

19. wolfman21 Member Member

drop in a couple seashells into your tank. This will give them calcium carbonate they need to regrow their exoskeleton after they molt.