• no, what did you DO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lichens

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There’s some weird goo on the wood chunk in my cycling tank. I’ve never had wood in a tank before so I didn’t know what to expect, but is it normal? Will it go away??

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.
It’s quite common for new wood to get that goopy jelly like stuff on it. It’s a fungus I believe, harmless & will eventually go away by itself, in the meantime if you don’t like how it looks you can wipe it off but it may keep coming back for a while.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lichens said:
There’s some weird goo on the wood chunk in my cycling tank. I’ve never had wood in a tank before so I didn’t know what to expect, but is it normal? Will it go away??
Are you still cycling your tank--adding ammonia, seeing nitrites and or nitrates? This fungus is normal in a cycling tank, especially on driftwood. It eventually falls off, breaks apart and goes away once the tank cycled and fish are in there. My rainbow fish and pleco seemed to like it. Once the tank is cycled, you can remove it if you want. Removing it before parameters have settled is usually futile, it just comes back. It's really not goopy either. If you peel some off, it's more like a microfibrous texture.

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That does look strangely thick, but often new driftwood will have weird slime and often strange types of algae growing on it, just keep cleaning it off when you clean the tank and it will eventually go away I think. I haven’t really had this problem with my driftwood (I just had a bunch of weird algae), but I have had this thick slime on other stuff before (the suction cups on my heater and air bubbler) and if you just scrub it off when you clean the tank it goes away after awhile.

OP
Lichens

Lichens

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
Are you still cycling your tank--adding ammonia, seeing nitrites and or nitrates? This fungus is normal in a cycling tank, especially on driftwood. It eventually falls off, breaks apart and goes away once the tank cycled and fish are in there. My rainbow fish and pleco seemed to like it. Once the tank is cycled, you can remove it if you want. Removing it before parameters have settled is usually futile, it just comes back. It's really not goopy either. If you peel some off, it's more like a microfibrous texture.
Yes, my tank is still cycling. There's a lot of ammonia, some nitrates, no nitrites. I plan on getting a couple shrimp when the tank is ready - maybe they'll enjoy the snack?

Coradee said:
Welcome to Fishlore.
It’s quite common for new wood to get that goopy jelly like stuff on it. It’s a fungus I believe, harmless & will eventually go away by itself, in the meantime if you don’t like how it looks you can wipe it off but it may keep coming back for a while.
Thanks! If that's the case, I'll just let it sit for now. :)

Blondeath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BFEC324F-5F7C-4705-AC8F-00FF60BCFAE3.png
It’s a fungus or bacteria! It’s all over mine too! I ended up taking some off with my tong/tweezers and as soon as it hit the air it turned a bloody blackish color and stank sooooo bad. Omg it was horrid.

But it has been 1.5 weeks and it’s going away on its own. I’ve read it’s something about the sugars in the sap in the wood.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lichens said:
Yes, my tank is still cycling. There's a lot of ammonia, some nitrates, no nitrites. I plan on getting a couple shrimp when the tank is ready - maybe they'll enjoy the snack?

Thanks! If that's the case, I'll just let it sit for now. :)
Shrimp may like it!

New Threads