Goodbye Burt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After a long and difficult past few weeks, Burt, our honey gourami, has finally passed on.

Burt's health deteriorated very slowly while we tried numerous methods to save him. In the end, he was no longer able to breath air from the surface and finally became too weak to survive..

The reason I would like to post here is because I honestly did not know one little fish could make me so happy; or at the very least, could relieve so much of my stress. I've kept fish ever since I was a little kid and have never had a fish quite as friendly Burt.. I don't think there was ever a time that I sat down in front of our tank and Burt didn't come up to the glass and "greet" me. (In all likelyhood, he had probably figured out where all the food was coming from.. heh). He loved to follow my finger across the glass and poke at/swim around my hand while I did maintenance in the tank. Many times when I've been upset or frustrated I've found myself sitting in front of our tank while Burt floated up to the glass, facing me. At those times, I can't help but feel like he was there for me! Burt was also the first fish my boyfriend and I bought together.

I know it might be foolish to become attached to a fish, but I feel like when I lost Burt today, I lost a friend

Goodbye Burt, and thank you.

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Ladyagate,

So sorry to hear about Burt. I don't think it's foolish at all. We all love our pets, dogs, cats, birds (to name a few) and last but not least by any means, fish. It's very difficult when we lose them. I'm glad he brought you so much joy!
Best wishes.
Ken

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry you've lost your little friend Ladyagate!

It's more than just food they come to see you for, I'm sure of it!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry you lost such a special litle guy.
We really do understand.

RIP Burt

OP
ladyagate

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for all the kind words. I am glad I'm not the only one who has become so attached to my fish..

I was just looking through some photos of Burt over the first months that I had him and it made me realize just how unhealthy he was for the last month.. Poor guy

Here are some photos of Burt in better health. Some of these photos are blurred but are still favorites of mine Ah I will miss his googly eyes..

Attachments

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

I am very sorry to hear about Burt. Thank you for sharing the pictures, what a sweet little fish! Never let anyone think you are foolish for caring about a fish, every creature is special, big or small. He was lucky to have such a great owner.

RIP Burt

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, Burt..... you were a very handsome and very beloved finned friend.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :console:

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's not foolish at all! To us, they are not "just fish." I'm so sorry you lost your little friend It's never easy. Just be happy knowing you did all you could to help him. He sure was a cutie!

RIP Burt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom