Goodbye Baby Panda

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

R.I.P. Little Cory..
    [​IMG]
    Now for my rant.

Picked up these 6 cories Sunday afternoon when they opened. Saturday night I had given my LFS a call asking if they could get me Panda Cories, been asking them for over a week, easily. They told me saturday night that they would have Brittani bring some down from the Willsonville store ( about 1.5 hours from me) to the Newberg store (which is about 30mins from me) I asked them if it would be okay to pick up Monday to give them some time to settle in. They open Sundays @ 12 and sat in traffic for an hour so arrived at 1pm Sunday cause I couldn't wait to pick them up!! I arrived to the LFS and my Cories were still floating in the same bag they had bagged them in the previous evening!
    I rushed home put them in my QT and started floating then slowing adding my water to their bag. As soon as I opened the bag to empty a little water out, I was violently hit in the face with the smell of waste from my bag. I have NEVER smelt anything like it in the 5 years I have had fish. 4 right away perked up while the other 2 isolated themselves. Not long after that the 5th came out but the 6th one looked very pale almost grey and lethargic, was quite a bit smaller than the other five. He had his ups and downs and I was almost positive when I went to bed last night that he was going to somehow make a miracle come back. I had that feeling and then when I got up this morning the little runt was dead. So now i get drive a half hour with a dead fish in a cup to get my money back cause they have no more Pandas in like a 50+ radius. AND they dont even open till this afternoon so he sits dead on my breakfast nook? I think I might yell at them! What were they thinking?! Maybe I'll ask them. Very irritated, feel like this could have easily been avoided. And if your incapable of safely transporting fish DONT FREAKIN OFFER. If I knew this was going to happen I would have drove 2 hours to ensure the successful transport of these guys!!
    Super bummed, thanks for listening to the rant.
    [​IMG]

:-\:-\--Crissandra

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Huh, that is gross.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh no, what a shame sounds like the stress of being in the bag so long took its toll on him, hope the others are ok
    I'd certainly give them a good talking to about it they should have known better.
    For the future when getting corys they can give off a toxin when stressed & with the small amount of water in the bag it can result in death, it usually happens quite quickly though.
    I always insist on no more than 2 corys per bag.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

The other 5 seem to be doing well. Never seen a fish that enjoys being around its own kind sooo much! Their really great fish. But now I have a delima cause I'm one short of a happy group of 6 and by the time I get a replacement my group will be out of QT in the main tank & would feel rotten putting a single panda in QT for 2 weeks by himself. And I really don't want to keep the 5 in QT longer than I have to because the rocks a little big for mine & their likings... What do you think? Coradee you seem to be the FL cory expert ;)

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

5 will be fine & if you then wanted to add a couple more when you find some you could QT 2 together, I always like odd numbers so 7 would be a nice size group

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes I seem to strangely do better with odd numbers as well, but always feel bad thinking someones the 3rd wheel lol..
    Well that sounds like a great idea, still in the process of getting the rest of my fish so ill make some adjustments to house 7 instead...I feel like they grew over night. They're really looking a LOT better!

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Glad the others are doing well, plenty of live or frozen foods & good water & they'll be very happy they're in your care now :)

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yep they just loved their blood worm!! Slurped it right up! And as always thanks again for all your great advice!

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Oh no, that's terrible and I'm sorry for your loss Cris :(. I'll wear all black today so we can have a coast to coast day of mourning for Baby Panda!

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Omg I would be soo angry. I'm surprised you didn't lose more, but thank goodness! Poor little thing. :( keep a good eye on them... People these days

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Crissandra331 Member Member

Aww Thanks 1971roadrunner and Micaela13

I plan on verbally kicking their butts as soon as they open later this afternoon! Sometimes I wish I didn't wake up so early in the morning cause I've now had this poor dead cory sitting dead in a beta-cup on my table for 4.5 hours!! Needless to say breakfast was skipped this morning...

12. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Actually Coradee makes this an international day of mourning. I know a chapter of a nice motorcycle club in Oregon (they have a club house in my immediate neighborhood too:)) who might go over there with you to raise heck!!!

13. Crissandra331 Member Member

HAHAHAHAH that would be hilarious, bet that'd be the last time they messed with me, my fish, & my new biker friends ;)

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My corys have been quiet today, maybe they're mourning the loss of their little american cousin :(