Goodbye 55 Gal?

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know really what else to say... But this thread is gonna be a bit long so please excuse me...

It's been a month since I placed an ad on an online shop to sell my 55 gal because I need the cash to upgrade on a new tank and a bit of the cash to set up a small recording studio on my pc. But today, a buyer sent me a text saying he wants to buy my tank but lower than what I asked for in my ad because of the cost of the transportation and the distance from where he lived from my place.

So now I don't really know what to do. I need advice... I'm really half hearted about this. I need to sell my awesome and precious tank for the cash but I don't feel like selling now after how much love, care and time I put into it. I keep staring at it now and it brings back many memories. I can't imagine it being handed to someone else who I'm not sure if he'll take good care of it.

I set the price of the tank which includes everything (decorations, tank light, filter & livestock) for RM450 which is $128 US dollars. But the buyer wants it for RM300 which is $85 US dollars. I spent more than RM700 on this tank and was willing to give it away for RM450. What do I do now? :helpsmilie:

Anyways, I apologize if it's such a long thread. Just needed to say what I want to say. Feeling very depressed and confused right now...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
$128.00 is a steal for everything, offering as low as $85, wanting you to absorb the cost of him coming and getting the tank is kind of insulting, imo.
If you're not in hurry, it might be a good idea to wait for another offer.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The problem is I am a bit in a hurry... Been waiting to get a buyer for a month now. One came up and asked for RM350 but then didn't give a reply after I replied. Then another one asking for RM400 but also changed his mind. And now this one...

The community here is quite hard to sell aquariums to. They prefer cheap and low cost aquariums rather than a nicely done set up one. It's quite hard to sell anything higher in the hundreds.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need to sell my awesome and precious tank for the cash but I don't feel like selling now after how much love, care and time I put into it. I keep staring at it now and it brings back many memories. I can't imagine it being handed to someone else who I'm not sure if he'll take good care of it.
You don't sound like you really want to sell the tank. I hate to see you have major regrets. See if there's something else you can sell in its place, maybe? After all, even $128 isn't really a lot of money. You couldn't replace it for that much. :console:

How much does the new tank cost? And would the money from the sale of the existing tank really truly cover the cost of the recording studio plus a new tank?

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't sound like you really want to sell the tank. I hate to see you have major regrets. See if there's something else you can sell in its place, maybe? After all, even $128 isn't really a lot of money. You couldn't replace it for that much. :console:

How much does the new tank cost? And would the money from the sale of the existing tank really truly cover the cost of the recording studio plus a new tank?
$128 isn't much to anyone in the states, but here in Malaysia. Our currency is $128 x 3.5. So that's a lot for me here especially when I don't have a job yet.

A new tank would cost depending where I get it. If I get it from an LFS instead of a chain store, it would cost much cheaper. Selling off my 55 gal wouldn't cover everything, I'd just have the tank money and some extra and still need some more...

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got an email from another buyer saying he'll take it for 300 and with his own transport...

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry mistake, 350... He mentioned 350, I tried 400 but he still prefered 350.

timmygt33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recon you tell him your price is firm, most of the time people send out a feeler offer just to see if they will indeed get it cheaper and intend to pay full price if asked.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recon you tell him your price is firm, most of the time people send out a feeler offer just to see if they will indeed get it cheaper and intend to pay full price if asked.
Well, not in my country. Trust me, I've tried it a thousand times.

Buyer: How much is this filter you selling?
Me: At 40 and it's firm.
Buyer: I'll take it from you tomorrow if you can give it for 20, best price yea?
Me: I bought this filter for 60 and can't give to you for less than half. 40 is my best price.
Buyer: 20 will do just fine. I'll take it from you asap, can yeah?
Me: ...

This is the community nowadays... I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd experience this.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seriously? You're recommending that someone go into debt for a hobby? :shock: Dave Ramsey would so not approve...
I am suggesting it for the recording studio which will potentially make money(maybe). Not for the hobby....that is just silly!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I decided not to sell my 55g. Even after 2 offers wanting at RM350, I took your advice and suggestion as I felt it was an insult too that they asked for a lower price just to cover transportation. So I told them, my price is set, your transportation is at your own fee. Thank you everybody!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well that's good. I got the feeling you would have regretted it. You can always tell any future potential buyers that it's already sold!!

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good for you Peacemaker. No sense in just giving away something you have worked hard for. If you still want to sell it, try asking 25% more than you intend to get and make it price negotiable. LOL
Love the Dave Ramsey comment by the way!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom