Good to feed fish Banana's?

Kribensis12
Is it good to feed fish Banana's? I have a bunch of banana's on the counter and wanted to try sometihng new. Is there a good amount of nutritional value in the food for fish, or is it not worth it? I also have orange's, and Apple's. What about them?

Dino
The problem of feeding fruit to fish is that most fruit are high insugar, so you generally get a bacterial bloom after having it in your tank.

Chief_waterchanger
It is doable to feed them that, just plan to do a 50% waterchange after having done so.

Kribensis12
But is there enough nutrients to feed it to them? Or shoul;d I skip it?

Sabi
Can Olives be fed?

Chief_waterchanger
Yes, there are enough nutrients that it would be worth it. Just do it the day of your scheduled waterchange and within the same day do the 50% change.. maybe an hour or two later... something like that

Sabi:

We've never fed olives, but we are unaware of anything that would make them unfeedable. Just make sure they are pitted. But again, that is just saying we are not aware, not yes or no... sorry

Kribensis12
What if I put a tiny bit in? I just did a water change the other day, and I barely have any dechlorinator. I also have a 20g, and a 10 g tank that need their water changed also, and I can't use the last bit because of a banana. What kinda of Nutritional benefit's are there for the fish? Does it make them grow faster? Does it make them more disease resistant? Does it enhance certain color's( if it does, please tell me what color's!)

Sabi
Sabi:

We've never fed olives, but we are unaware of anything that would make them unfeedable. Just make sure they are pitted. But again, that is just saying we are not aware, not yes or no... sorry
I see, thanks.
I was wondering as someone mentioned it might not be good. My plecos and harlequins seem to love it.

Chief_waterchanger
It benefits their overall health, I don't think anyone has studied that indepth on the subject. It gives vitamins and minerals that are not present in processed foods. It is not essential for your fish to have a banana to live, but you will have to do a waterchange after giving a banana or any sugary food or your water is going to get fouled and have a bacterial bloom.

Kribensis12
If you take a tiny piec eof banana and put in a tank, won't the tank become full of infursia( spelling?)

Chief_waterchanger
The sugar levels are so high in fruits that the bacteria are going to break that sugar down before anything has a chance to grow because of the fruit, I believe.

Kribensis12
So, any amount of banana I put in there= change water?

Dino
Not if it ALL is consumed by the fish.

I would remove any not eatten within 30 minutes.

Kribensis12
Okay, I might try it, but not now, as I'm tired! Will let you guy's now if the water turn's cloudy, or if sometihng die's, or if the water test kit say's there is something wrong!

TheEssigs

Maybe we can make a sticky list, in the fish food section, with various fruit and veggies that we can feed the fish, which items are better for the fish and what benefits the said item has, as well as which items need caution and/or immediate follow-up with maintenance.

I saw at Petsmart, they were feeding orange slices to the goldfish.

(just a thought)

Blub
Bannana's

Hi!

Well - I've never tried it for fear of fouling the water. I should think the less you put in the smaller the water change. But that's just a bit of logic.

That's a great idea Essigs! Why not go and make that thread now?

Sabi
Maybe we can make a sticky list, in the fish food section, with various fruit and veggies that we can feed the fish, which items are better for the fish and what benefits the said item has, as well as which items need caution and/or immediate follow-up with maintenance.

(just a thought)
I agree. I was thinking about this last night.

COBettaCouple
We've only fed fruit to our Bettas and hand fed them very tiny pieces. I think they'd rather have a thawed bloodworm or pea piece though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3 4
Replies
Views
PascalKrypt
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Jamie Boshier
Replies