Good tetra tank mates for guppies?

gray18

Reactions
Hello all. I have a 33 gallon long tank. I currently have lots of guppies in my tank but was thinking about going down to about half of what I have now and adding a school of some kind of peaceful tetras.

In the past, I have always done neons a lot. I like rummy nose tetras. I also really like bloodfins too, but read that they can be nippers sometimes and I'd rather them not bother the guppies. Pristella tetras seem cool too, but hard to find. Any suggestions?

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
gray18 said:
Hello all. I have a 33 gallon long tank. I currently have lots of guppies in my tank but was thinking about going down to about half of what I have now and adding a school of some kind of peaceful tetras.

In the past, I have always done neons a lot. I like rummy nose tetras. I also really like bloodfins too, but read that they can be nippers sometimes and I'd rather them not bother the guppies. Pristella tetras seem cool too, but hard to find. Any suggestions?
Bloodfins will only nip if aggravated and most likely wouldn't bully your guppies. But let's look at some more tetras. Rummies aren't really hardy. I personally love red-eye tetra. They look really nice. Idea that isn't tetra, harlequin rasbora. Good luck choosing :)

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:

Cardinal tetras? Maybe black skirts or white skirts? Glow tetras as well even though they are the same as black skirts.

Mouska

Reactions
RomanNoodles96 said:
Cardinal tetras? Maybe black skirts or white skirts? Glow tetras as well even though they are the same as black skirts.
Aren’t black skirts and white skirts usually fin nippers?
cardinals would be cool with guppies I think.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
I have bloodfin tetras with guppies and I’ve never seen any nippers. IME a school of 8 works great for them and helps them feel more relaxed, making nipping less likely.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Mouska said:
Aren’t black skirts and white skirts usually fin nippers?
cardinals would be cool with guppies I think.
Yeah they probably would. Cardinals are really the only ones I can think of tetra wise.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reactions
gray18 said:

I have neons, Silvertips and glow tetra (adopted) in community tank with guppies.

OP
G

gray18

Reactions
Aren't Cardinals pretty sensitive? Whatever schooling fish I usually go with, I never keep small schools. I usually like to do at least 10-12.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
Aren't Cardinals pretty sensitive? Whatever schooling fish I usually go with, I never keep small schools. I usually like to do at least 10-12.
Cardinals are hardier than neons in most peoples experience

Tristen

Reactions
gray18 said:
Cardinals don’t have the same health issues that neons have due to poor breeding. Some good tetras:
Cardinal tetras
Black neon tetras
Ember tetras
Pristella tetras
Von rio tetras

Other schooling fish you might like:
Cherry barbs
Harlequin rasboras
Chili rasboras

OP
G

gray18

Reactions
I have always heard the opposite and that they prefer different tank parameters

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
I have always heard the opposite and that they prefer different tank parameters
Nope. Neons at their current state are very imbred. Plus Cardinals can tolerate more compared to neons.

Leeman75

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
I've had Guppies with Black Neons, Neons, Black Skirts, and Embers. Never have had a problem with any of them bullying the guppies. I think the key is to have enough of the Tetras and a big enough tank. I believe that it's when the Tetras don't have enough numbers (particularly Black Skirts) that they can get a little nippy...or if they're in too small of an area.

OP
G

gray18

Reactions
Well, my tank is a pretty decent size. Four foot of length. I have heard Cardinal tetras are also mostly wild caught. Is this true?

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
Well, my tank is a pretty decent size. Four foot of length. I have heard Cardinal tetras are also mostly wild caught. Is this true?
Even if they are they're still hardier than neons.

OP
G

gray18

Reactions
Another fish I haven't seen in years that were pretty cool when I kept my 56 gallon column tank were Head & tail light tetras. I don't think I really see them any where.

I also quite like Colombian Tetras... but everywhere I look that carries them, they only have two fish in stock.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
gray18 said:
Another fish I haven't seen in years that were pretty cool when I kept my 56 gallon column tank were Head & tail light tetras. I don't think I really see them any where.

I also quite like Colombian Tetras... but everywhere I look that carries them, they only have two fish in stock.
I'd just do whatever you think is best and compatible with guppies

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
gray18 said:

I have head and tail light tetras, they’re pretty good fish. They can handle a lot.

OP
G

gray18

Reactions
jkkgron2 said:
I have head and tail light tetras, they’re pretty good fish. They can handle a lot.
I can't remember exactly, but how good of schoolers are they? Decent?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
gray18 said:
I can't remember exactly, but how good of schoolers are they? Decent?
It depends on how comfortable they feel in the tank. I have mine in a pretty peaceful community where they don’t get chased by fish so they spread out a lot but in a different setting I could see them schooling together. If you want tight schoolers go for rummynose (not that hardy) or bloodfin tetras (decent). They both school very well and look very nice together :)

New Threads