Good tankmates for dwarf gouramis

1. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Just going with a 20 gallon.

What else could I put in there. I'd like a couple of dwarf gouramis. Male/female?

Thanks!

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    You might want to add one of the smaller tetra species and some small bottom dwellers-a group of the smaller cory could work.
    The thing is with a new tank, you really want to add slowly when increasing the bio load.
    If the nitrogen cycle is complete, that helps.
    Good luck

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I have a single male dwarf gourami in my planted 15 gallon. He is quite comfortable with 5 glowlight tetras, 1 male killifish, and 2 female killifish (gardneri types... they are one of the few killis that do well in a community tank). I have a tall tank though, so the water column is slightly different. If you use a sandy substrate, consider a small shoal of 5-6 pygmy cories. Tetras and cories will both need to be in a shoal/school.

4. sbdzx Member Member

Livebearers, rasborsas, and barbs (not tiger barbs) are some fish that are peaceful and could work, too. I've heard a lot of good things about corys, which are bottom dwellers. I myself am planning to get some soon after my tank cycles! About the DG's (dwarf gouramis)--I'm just a newbie, but I know 2 males would definitely be a bad idea. I'm not sure about a male and a female together, but the male may become aggressive with the female when breeding. I want to say it's best to stick to one DG, but I'm not positive.

And I agree with claireputput; it's best to have the nitrogen cycle completed before adding fish, and fish should be added slowly. This puts less stress on them and lets the bacteria grow to catch up to the increased bioload.

5. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

Thanks, everyone!

I have cories in a planted 30. I love them. Cute, little things!

I haven't set up the 20, yet. Just started to get things together now! I won't be adding fish until the nitrogen cycle is complete, of course!

How does this sound?

One dwarf gourami
    5 rummynose tetras
    one albino bristlenose catfish
    one red swordtail