Good Tankmates For Cherry Shrimp?

SabreNation

Hello everyone. Multi-tank syndrome is now officially in full effect and I've started putting together a 2nd tank. This one is a 20 gallon tall I inherited from my mother. I've got the planted aquarium bug now so I ordered a 24" Fennix LED setup yesterday and I'm planning to plant it pretty heavily. I also think I want to do shrimp since I've never kept shrimp before - probably just something simple like cherry shrimp although I'm open to other suggestions. My big questions are - how many can I put in there and what else can I put with them?

I'd like to keep the stock different from my primary tank which is populated with cardinal tetras, panda corys, and a pair of double red apistos.

kattiq

You could start with quite a few- 10 or even 20 and they usually breed pretty easily if conditions are right so if you wanted to save money you could start with less and just let them breed up their numbers. However, most fish will eat the babies if there is not a lot of hiding spots like java moss etc. I think it would be cool to just have a shrimp only tank. Or you could do a very small fish like chili rasboras or a school of pygmy corys, you might have better luck with those not eating as many babies.

swimmingslowly

SabreNation said:
Hello everyone. Multi-tank syndrome is now officially in full effect and I've started putting together a 2nd tank. This one is a 20 gallon tall I inherited from my mother. I've got the planted aquarium bug now so I ordered a 24" Fennix LED setup yesterday and I'm planning to plant it pretty heavily. I also think I want to do shrimp since I've never kept shrimp before - probably just something simple like cherry shrimp although I'm open to other suggestions. My big questions are - how many can I put in there and what else can I put with them?

I'd like to keep the stock different from my primary tank which is populated with cardinal tetras, panda corys, and a pair of double red apistos.
I saw a planted shrimp tank at my LFS with Badis and if I had room to accommodate my MTS I’d go with Badis :)

Flyfisha

Endlers don’t eat shrimp after day 3 . Ember tetras are the same. When first born the shrimp can’t swim they just float around at the surface. Something like 10% will be eaten in those first few days . At a week old they can move around under their own power and I believe are not on the menu ( as much)
Just a male only tank in a small tank as endlers breed like rabbits.

GlennO

Otocinclus, especially if you have strong light and good algae growth, which the shrimp will also appreciate.

JettsPapa

My daughter-in-law has a school of celestial pearl danios in her 20 gallon long shrimp tank. It seems to be working well.

Mazeus

I second the suggestions of endlers or chilli rasbora. I've kept RCS with both with no issue. Mine you, I have so many RCS now I have have them in all my tanks with every fish I own; betta, tetras, sparkling gourami, brislenose pleco, and they are still multiplying!

Top Bottom