Good sw starter fish

bigt0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So after doing some reading im going to start a 20 gallon fish and live rock sw tank was just wondering what some good starter fish are dont plan on adding any fish for a month or longer just want some ideas i was thinking maybe a couple blue damsels and a clown fish what are your thoughts also what would be some good inveribrates to add shrimp/snails should mention this is my first time doing a sw tank i have a few years experience with fresh water tanks but none with sw

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fire-fish and gobies are pretty easy to take care of. If you get a clown get an occelaris they are fine for that tank size.

Damsels get territorial and you'll need a larger tank to house more than one and I don't know how clowns and damsels would do since they are both territorial.

bigt0006

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok well i deffinetly want a clown my lfs has a whole bunch of species of them ill look for that one what else fish wise and invertibrates could i put in with the clown fish

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe you could check out little gobies like the Clown Goby or a Neon Goby. Having a Cleaner Shrimp is always beneficial because of their scavenging abilities. Fire fish are great beginner fish but they are known to be notorious jumpers.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi bigt,
20G - Maximum one clown IMO - clowns (and tangs) are often misrepresented for tank size. I personally think a minimum 20G for 1 clown (preferably 30G).

That said, some of the smaller gobies will be ok, and maybe blennies too. Keep in mind that many blennies are algae eaters, so you'll need to provide for them in the tank, or supplement in their feed.

Damsels are probably a little too territorial for 20G, unless you do species only.

Check out our nano profiles for some ideas: https://www.fishlore.com/small_saltwater_fish_tank_species.htm

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom